cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Hangs on verifing Install

Mark_Calvert
Not applicable
I am currently running in a multi server environment.  (2) Servers with Windows 2003, one running Exchange and one with SQL Server 2005.  When i try and install Backup Exec, I will get the message about upgrading my SQL2000 instance to a newer service pack, but it goes ahead and creates my instance.  The next point i reach is verifying the install.  At which point it appears to hang.  The server is still running, but has been brought to a crawl.  If you try to open 'My Computer', the window opens but never displays anything.  Task Manager shows 0% utilization on setup.exe and no other processes seem to be taking over.  To get the server back to normal and running, you have to reboot.

The history here is that the server has been up and running for a year now, Backup Exec 10d installed, everything has been perfect.  We had a software company come in and install an upgrade to their software, which included installing SQL 2005.  Due to drive space limitations on the 'C:' drive we had to uninstall Backup Exec.  (Heaven knows why the guy didn't route his temporary files to one of the large drives)  In any event,  his install went, his stuff was moved to the large drives and now I can not get Backup Exec reinstalled.  I assume it has to do with the version of SQL Server there now, but not sure how to confirm that.  The log file is available if anyone has a question, but it show no errors or warnings other then needing to put on the SQL2000 Service packs.  Why I point now to the SQL upgrade, is I don't recall having to do anything with service packs on the original install.

I have run through the uninstalls, deleted all the folders relating to Backup Exec, including the SQL Server instance folder.  I am correct in MSDE2000 being able to run along side another version of SQL Server?

I am at a loss right now on what to do.  Am I forced to upgrade to v11?  Is there a patch i can preinstall before doing the actual install?  Do I beat this thing to death with a hammer?

Any help or information that can be passed on will be deeply appreciated.

0 REPLIES 0