cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install licence key

schin
Level 3

have got my 2 new cleaning tapes and already inserted to the library but now hitting another error message:

Backup Accpac-Backup Thursday-Backup ToTape Thursday -- The job failed with the following error: Before you can back up this resource, you must purchase and install a license key for the appropriate Backup Exec agent. See Job Log for details.

any ideas? please advise because this is the x times i hit this error. Usually I'll uninstall everything and re-install.

Thank you. 

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have branched this off to a new discussion because it is not related to the other discussion.

I believe Accpac uses a SQL Server database.  If you are backing up a SQL Server database, then you would need to purchase and install a SQL Server agent licence.

schin
Level 3

Sorry, I'm still a newbie to this and thanks for remind.

Actually Accpac is our old system that we dont use anymore but we remain the backup job name. So we dont backup SQL server database.

When I tried to Test Run any of the backup job, it will give me succesful result. But if I Run Now, then I'll get the error of purchase and install a license.

Please advise what I can do now? Thank you.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You got to look at the joblog, see what resource your are backing up which gives you the error message and buy the appropriate licence.  For example, if you are backing up a remote server, then you would need to buy a remote agent licence.

Robel
Level 3

Hi! I have same issue. My SQL server and backup exec installed in one server machine and getting the error below:

“Backup 00001 – the job failed with the following error: Before you can back up this resource, you must purchase and install a license key for the appropriate Backup Exec agent”

Do I have to buy a licnese for SQL agent. I am running the sql and Backup exec with same server machine and I have a valid key for backup exec 2010 r3.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Robel
Level 3

License Issue

Hi! I have same issue. My SQL server and backup exec installed in one server machine and getting the error below:

“Backup 00001 – the job failed with the following error: Before you can back up this resource, you must purchase and install a license key for the appropriate Backup Exec agent”

Do I have to buy a licnese for SQL agent. I am running the sql and Backup exec with same server machine and I have a valid key for backup exec 2010 r3.

Please advise.

Thanks,

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Robel I have just answered your post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/licensing-issue-backup-exec-2010-r3

If you want to take hot backup of your SQL DB then you need SQL agent license.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The base BE licence does not cover SQL Server.  To backup SQL Server databases, you need 1 SQL Server licence per machine, regardless of whether the machine is the media server or a remote server.