cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Backup Exec 2010 on a new server running Win2008 standardserver

HeatherF
Level 2

We have BE 12.5 running on media server on Win2003 server. We have remote agents that include SQL and Exchange.

This server has come to the end of its life and we have a new server, running Windows 2008 server std.

How can I dowload and install BE 2010 on the new server?

Are all remore agents supported on Win server 2008 standard?

3 REPLIES 3

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

First thing is you have to check if you have the contract for the free entitlement upgrade from 12.5 to 2010, if not you have to get one for 2010 as 12.5 license will not work on the 2010.

How can I dowload and install BE 2010 on the new server?

You have to download BE from file connect and install it on the new server.

Note:  As all your other remote agent pointing to different media server you have to manually change the publishing to the new server using vxmon or simply opening the backup exec remote agent utility from all programs.

Once you have changed the publishing to the new media server restart the remote agent on all the remote servers and BE services on New Media server.

You can now upgrade all your agents to 2010 as well though you can backup 12.5 agent from 2010 BE but it is always recommended to upgrade them.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello there,

Instead of upgrading to normal Backup Exec 2010 go for Backup Exec 2010 R2 which is much more improved version than normal Backup Exec 2010. You can install the Backup Exec 2010 R2 from www.backupexec.com

Also it is possible to directly upgrade from BE 12.5 to BE 2010 R2. But if you do not want to upgrade but start with fresh blank database then only install Backup Exec 2010 R2 on your new server.

You will not be able to do the Backup Exec migration from one server to another as you are chaning the Operating System version. Please refer to these technotes for more information and also for the procedure of Migration:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/319367

http://support.veritas.com/docs/310864

Thanks,

-Sush...

HeatherF
Level 2

Thanks for this, exactly what I needed.