cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Backup Exec

Giyora
Level 4

Hello,

I have Backup Exec 11d installed in my 2003 servers (server&agents).I purchased the new Backup Exec 2010.

What is the best way to install the new Backup Exec ? uninstall the old backup and installing the new one or upgrade ?

or maybe there is another way..

Best regards,

Giyora 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If your current version if 11.7170 (see Help >> Abount Symantec Backup Exec) then you can directly upgrade from your current version to Backup Exec 2010 R3 which is the latest version. You will just have to run the installation of Backup Exec 2010 R3 and it will detect the older version installed and upgrade to Backup Exec 2010 R3.

The main advantage of this is that all the settings, Job, Media sets and all will be retained and not lost. Also to be on the safer side do keep a copy of the DATA and the CATALOGS folder from Backup Exec 11d installation files.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If your current version if 11.7170 (see Help >> Abount Symantec Backup Exec) then you can directly upgrade from your current version to Backup Exec 2010 R3 which is the latest version. You will just have to run the installation of Backup Exec 2010 R3 and it will detect the older version installed and upgrade to Backup Exec 2010 R3.

The main advantage of this is that all the settings, Job, Media sets and all will be retained and not lost. Also to be on the safer side do keep a copy of the DATA and the CATALOGS folder from Backup Exec 11d installation files.

Thanks,

-Sush...

nhoj_O1
Level 3

Check out Nick Elmer's Blog maybe this can help you..

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-install-blog-upgrades