cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory/catalog of tape shows zero bytes but previous backup job shows 180GB backed up

Repent
Level 2
I am trying to restore some data from a tape.  The backup job of the tape says that it failed due to access denied errors.  Those eros relate to some contacts not being able to be verified in a user's mailbox.  No big deal it would seem as far as that goes.  The backup job size trhough shows @180GB backed up, taking 6+ hours, etc.  When I look through the log for hte backup job it shows that thousands of directories were backed up, etc.

The tape's catalog is not visible under the restore option tab.  When I insert the tape, goto devices, and inventory it, then catalog it, I still see that it shows it has 0 bytes of xxGB used.  The tape media label, allocated date, etc is all correct for when this tape was used last week, yet it shows that the tape contains no data, although the job log shows it contains alot of data.

How can I resolve this?  Any ideas?

thanks;
chris

1 REPLY 1

Repent
Level 2
I ended up paying for a support incident to get this resolved so I'll post the fix here in case it can help someone else.  My solution was this:

1.) Stop all Backup Exec (BE) services under Tools/Backup Exec Services
2.) Goto installation folder for BE and rename the "catalogs" folder
3.) Restart all BE services
4.) Verify that new "catalogs" folder was created
5.) Insert tape
6.) Goto "Device" Tab, Inventory and catalog tape
7.) You should now see the catalog under the "Restore" tab
8.) Restore your data

The above worked for me.  Supposedly updating from v11.0.6235 to 11.0.v7170 (11d) and doing the following will get rid to the "access denied" error on the information store for users contacts, sent items, etc according to the tech.  We'll see on that one....

Do this:

Goto your backup job
Goto "Selections" and deselect "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" since the mailstore will be backup by having
"Microsoft Information Store" selected in the list.
Goto "Tools/Options/Microsoft Exchange" and deselect "Enable legacy mailbox support......."

I'll see tomorrow if this fixed the issue.

chris