cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Symantec is expecting to release Service Pack 2 Soon?

Al_Capone
Level 4
Hi

As the subject is indicating:
Is Symantec is expecting to release Service Pack 2 Soon?
Thanks
Al Capone
10 REPLIES 10

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Are you looking for any particular enhancement or any special feature in the next SP? Currently there are no details about the release of SP2 for 10d. However, Symantec is in the process of releasing Backup exec 11d.

You may also subscribe to our Email Notification Service for latest updates and new releases:

Al_Capone
Level 4
hi

I am not looking for any particular enhancement or any special feature. We are planning to do a maintenance patch on our environement (more than 80 BE server and more than 250 remote servers). Because there is a lot of patch since the release of SP1 I was expecting to have SP2 or a kind of a rollup patch in order to reduce the patching process...

Thanks

Al Capone

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You can get the latest available updates from the Veriats update site.

Regards,

Al_Capone
Level 4
Hi
Of course I know that I can do an update with Veritas Update.

Is symantec is planning to release SP2, If yes when

Thanks
Al Capone

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
While you have my sympathy with having to patch 80 servers, if you look carefully at the updates since SP1, you can pare them down to about 5.
E.g. there's an update for DLO. If you don't use DLO, don't install the update. There's an update for VSS hardware providers and one for specific backup devices. Not using that hardware? Then don't install the patches.
At least once the servers are updated you only need to install the reomte agents once.

I have thought in the past that the BE patch process is quite annoying. The need to stop and restart the services I can understand. The need for a reboot is very annoying though. Lots of other software can be updated without a reboot, so why does BE ask you to reboot. While it's the easiest situation to develop for, it's not something you want to see in an enterprise-level product.

Al_Capone
Level 4
HI

thanks for the hint!

I noticed that we don't need to reboot the servers...

If you update a server lets with SP1 then you can apply a patch that requires it!...

You can even install BE (for the very 1st on the server) then apply SP1 + others patches and you will not need to reboot to take backups after...

They just want to cover their @$$

Thanks

Al Capone

Al_Capone
Level 4
oops sorry... some words were missing!!!

HI

thanks for the hint!

I noticed that we don't need to reboot the servers...

If you update a server lets SAY with SP1 then you can apply a patch that requires it!...

You can even install BE (for the very 1st time on the server) then apply SP1 + others patches and you will not need to reboot to take backups after...

They just want to cover their @$$

Thanks

Al Capone

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
It is indeed most likely an a$$ covering tactic. You have to decide for yourself whether you want to cover your own a$$ or risk it for the (substantial) time saving.
Our servers take (at least) 3 minutes to reboot each. 5 updates, 80 servers, minutes per reboot = 20 hours of downtime.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Though we appreciate your participation in the forum, we request you to refrain from using such indecent language. We thus, encourage you to rephrase and resubmit the query as a new post.

Al_Capone
Level 4
I will use a decent language when you will delever a decent level of support and a decent product