cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is "Deleted Item Retention" available on a mailbox after restore?

Lee_Sydenham
Not applicable
I understand that when you move a mailbox to another store, the "Deleted Item Retention" on that mailbox is lost (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195490)

We are about to create new stores and move a lot of mailboxes around but are concerned about this. Can anyone confirm:

Is it possible to access "Deleted Item Retention" messages (messages not in Deleted Items but still referenced from the mailbox) from a Mailbox backup in Backup Exec

AND

If we restore a mailbox store to a Recovery Storage Group on another server, is it possible to get at "Deleted Items Retention" for that mailbox. (I've not used RSG yet but I understand that you have to exmerge the mailbox out - can you also exmerge Deleted Items Retention?)

The problem as we see it is that if someone has received a message and deleted it on the same day, if the above is not possible and we move the mailbox then the mail message is not recoverable (it would not be within the "mailbox" to restore).

All responses much appreciated,

Lee.
1 REPLY 1

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Please note that the 'deleted item retention' is a feature of Microsoft Exchange. But, if the retention period is over or the retension period is not specified and the customer wants to recover the deleted items in a mailbox and has a mailbox backup, he can restore the items in that particular mailbox. He need not restore the whole Information Store for the same.

When the Exchange Mailbox branch on the Backup Selection tab is selected, individual mailboxes (or the individual folders or messages within the mailboxes) can be selected for backup, and are later eligible for restore operations.

Also, you can backup and restore individual contacts or calendar appointments using Backup Exec. You need not restore the whole Information Store for the same.

Thank You,

Shweta