cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is running verify really important

ikmon2000
Level 3

I currently run verify after every backup job using BE 12.5. It really adds a lot to the time it takes for the jobs to complete. My question is how useful running the verify is?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Craig is right.  But, I don't think a version as old as BE 12.5 had that feature that allows you to split the scheduling of backup & verify.  If you upgrade to a more modern version of BE, then you can move the verify operations outside of your backup window and they become less impactful.

Verify has always been strongly encouraged.  I don't think anybody ever got fired for running a verify, but I am not sure about the opposite. :)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
If you run the Verify as part of the job, it will definitely add time to the backup. If run it separately after the job completes, the backup will run and end. This adds no time to the actual backup run. Thanks!

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Craig is right.  But, I don't think a version as old as BE 12.5 had that feature that allows you to split the scheduling of backup & verify.  If you upgrade to a more modern version of BE, then you can move the verify operations outside of your backup window and they become less impactful.

Verify has always been strongly encouraged.  I don't think anybody ever got fired for running a verify, but I am not sure about the opposite. :)

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Would you rather find out that your backup set is unreadable immediately after a backup or when you are doing a restore?

Very good point!