cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a solution to the problems with Exchange GRT restores?

Magnus_Anders1
Level 3
Hi,
Installed BE11d with all hotfixes incl. Hotfix 11.
Pushed installation to Exchange 2003-server and created a job that backup this information store with GRT enabled.
When I'm trying to do a test restore I'm able to select different mailboxes (the job ran successfully) but abut 10 of 50 mailboxes are missing.
After browsing this forum and knowledgebase I get the impression that this problem should be solved in HF11.
I have checked twice that the fileversions on both server and exchangeagent is upgraded byt the HF11 install so this is not the issue.

Am I the only one with this problem unsolved after installing HF11?
4 REPLIES 4

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The problem fixed in HF 11 that prevented mailboxes from being displayed in restore selections only occurred if a GRT enabled backup job was written to tape, it did not occur when written to B2D devices.

In your post you don't mention if your backup is to tape or B2D.

If your backup device is a tape drive then this issue "should" be resolved with HF11 but if in your case it has not, then you should definitely open a support case.

What is your backup device?

Derek_Hill
Level 4
Perry,

the statement you are making is not correct. There is an issue with jobs that are backed up to tape as well as backed up to disk. The problem arises from the way BEX 11d tries to read the active directory mailbox information, it is looking for the keyword recepient in the CN of the user, if it does not find the work recepient, the user is not displayed. This has been verified by Symantec Advanced Engineering out of Florida. I have an open case on this issue and was promised an update once a fix is being delivered. You can look up my case if you want, the case id is: 280-958-889

Derek

Magnus_Anders1
Level 3
Both disk and tapebased backups has this problem, same problem as been described by Derek.

Derek, please reply in this thread when you get response from Symantec.

Magnus

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Magnus,

The problem that Derek has encountered is not the same as the problem that HF 11 resolves. If you have encountered the same behavior and have HF 11 installed then I hazard to say that you have the same problem as Derek.

Notice in his previous post this statement:
"it is looking for the keyword recepient in the CN of the user"
Derek is absolutely correct and cited the problem accurately.

The problem is the string found in LegacyExchangeDN.
The string should list cn=recipients for that portion.
Instead it could be something like cn=users or something else.

cn=recipients is the expected value as prescribed by Microsoft
You can find more information on this at the following link:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996152.aspx#ModifyinglegacyDNValue
Scroll to the section titled: Modifying the legacyExchangeDN Value

There is the following statement that lists several bullet points after:
You should inspect carefully any modifications to the legacyExchangeDN attribute to prevent typographical mistakes such as the following:

One of the bullet points is the following:
Misspelling of any one of the container names, especially Recipients.

So as you can see the cn=recipients is the expected and prescribed value.

Backup Exec engineering is working on this issue in how it affects Backup Exec.

It would be helpful to know if your legacyExchangeDN attribute has the same incorrect cn="value other than recipients". Perhaps yours is recipients but there is something else in the legacyExchangeDN attribute that is causing the same problem. Can you check that and reply to this post with your findings?

Derek,

If you have discovered any additional information that can help please pass it along...