cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Engine service does not stop when requested to stop

Johnny5
Level 2
After clicking the "Stop all services" button, the output stops at "Stopping Backup Exec Job Engine on <servername here>" and the program waits forever.  If I click the "x" to close the window, and then try it again it will stop the services up to (but excluding) the Job Engine and the rest of the services show "Error stopping the service <servicename> on <servername>."

Then, if I check the Computer Management->Services addon, the Job Engine service shows "Stopping" for the state.  Back in the BE program with the other services back on, I can still Export media, but clicking on "Restore" will cause the program to stop responding.  However, clicking on Backup shows the Backup window.  Note that restarting the server causes everything to work as normal.

I am not certain what caused this.  I do not think that it was the upgrade from the older 11.0 revision to 7170.  The only other two things that I have done are:

1) Shut down the services, moved the catalogs from our old server (different OS, different server name) to the new one, and started the services.  Most of the catalogs then showed up fine.  I believe the services were restarted normally again after this.

2) Removed a Backup_To_Disk folder.  Then, I wanted to get rid of the media for that Backup_To_Disk folder from the "All Media" selection in the "Media" tab.  I found that I could associate them with the "Retired Media", and then delete them.  However, this did not delete the physical data, so I deleted the entire folder.  I may have done the deleting of the data and the deleting of the media in the opposite order...I do not remember.

Finally, the Job Engine service would not stop.  They will start up fine if I restart the server, but again, they will not stop.

Thanks,
Jon

2 REPLIES 2

harmstrong
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi Johnny5,

Stop all the backup exec services and the SQL(BKUPEXEC) instance.  Go into c:\program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data    rename the catalogs directory to catalogs.old then create a new catalogs directory see if the job engine will stop .  You can also try running a repair of the Backup Exec install.

Regards,
HArmstrong
Symantec

Johnny5
Level 2
That is the problem.  I cannot stop the backup exec services.