cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Engine unexpectedly terminates

Rob_Lauder
Level 4
I am running Backup Exec9.1 with Exchange Agent on SBS2000. About two weeks ago my backups started to fail with the message “The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding” . I have done a number of things to solve this. I started by Service packing the Backup Exec installation with SP1. This did not make any difference so I then uninstalled the software , rebooted and reinstalled, I have installed the latest MDAC and also reapplied SP1 for BE 9.1. None of this helped I have also run BEUtility thinking that it may be a database issue but this did not help, although by removing the software completely this should have been addressed. The Windows Removable storage manager server has been disabled, the Server is running the latest Windows updates and has Windows 2000 SP4 installed.

Any Takers??

BRGDS

Rob
10 REPLIES 10

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Initially, try to reapply MDAC v2.8 and also install Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8. Stop all third party applications before installing it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=239114#4

Also, download the "Component Checker" utility from the Microsoft site to check if there are any mismatched files. If yes, replace the suspected files.

Reference:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/267326

Rob_Lauder
Level 4
Thanks for the reply. I have done as suggested. There are three mismatched files picked up by Component checker:

odbcbcp.dll
sqlsrv32.dll
msxml3.dll

All these files are newer than the versions that the component checker suggests, also the timestamp on the files states that they were installed prior to the issue begining. Would you still recomend replaceing them for the older version?

BRGDS

Rob

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
Do not replace those files with older versions. Those 3 are part of Microsoft security patch MS04-003 and should be a later version than MDAC 2.8 RTM shows.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
A couple possibilities:
In Backup Exec go to Tools> Options> Preferences and see if "Display Progress Indicators" is checked. If so uncheck the check box for "Display Progress Indicators" and click on the "OK" button to apply the change.

When you did the uninstall/reinstall of BEWS, did you get rid of the old catalog files? If not, try stopping the Backup Exec services, renaming the catalog directory, then restarting the services. If this resolves the issue, you can either recatalog your backup tapes or stop the Backup Exec services and copy the *.U01 files a couple at a time until the issue recurs. Then just get rid of the problem catalog files. Just make sure to have the Backup Exec services stopped any time you move catalog files around.

Other than that, I'd have to recommend opening a support case to have the Dr Watson or memory dump analyzed to see what the cause is.

For more information refer to the following technote :

You need to Uncheck the Progress Indicator.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262762Message was edited by:

Rohit Sonawale

Rob_Lauder
Level 4
Hi Russ, thanks for your reply. I did in fact look at the Progress indicators initially but had not done anything with the catalogs. I did as you suggested but still the Job Engine fails..

BRGDS

Rob

Rob_Lauder
Level 4
I have changed the recovery options or the job engine under the services control panal.. the backup completes now however when it runs it discmounts the Exchange infomation store..

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,
Tyr performing a repair of the Backup Exec database.

Follow the steps below to repair the Backup Exec database:

1. Open BEUTILITY (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT)

2. Add the Media server a. Right click on All Media Servers and choose "Add Media Server"

3. Right click on the media server and stop the services .

4. In C:\Program Files\VERITAS\BACKUP Exec\NT\Data copy the BEDB_DAT.MDF

5. In BEUTILITY Right click on the media server name and choose "Repair Database"

Rob_Lauder
Level 4
Ive tried this originally... since I changed the job engine recovery I am now getting a 10Gb byte count on the backup which then fails with two errors.

1)
The drive hardware is offline!

Please confirm that the drive hardware is powered on and properly cabled.

2)
The job was canceled by user MyDomain\Administrator.

Any thoughts

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
This may have caused due to communication failure between the Backup exec job engine and the Tape device.

We suggest you to follow the steps given below,

1.Uninstall the Veritas associated drivers by using the Tapeinst.exe utility.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199881.htm

Here when "Choosing Tape drivers" screen appears then select the third option of "uninstall and remove all Veritas drivers".

2. Now Go to Devices tab ;Right click on the tape drive (If it is showing) > uncheck "Enabled".

3. Again right click on the tape drive(If it is showing) and select "Delete"

4. Stop all Backup Exec services.

5.Now delete(Uninstall) the Tape device from the Device manager.

6.Reboot the server and verify that Tape device is detected and Microsoft driver is installed.

7.Start all Backup Exec services and verify if the tape device is detected.

8.Now again follow the Technote:199881 and follow the steps to install the Veritas drivers .

9.Now refer the following technote and install the latest veritas drivers,

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm

10.Confirm that before running the backup job the device is showing online in the devices tab.

11.To isolate the cause,you may try to run the backup job on backup to disk folder and check the results.

Kindly revert back if the issue persists with necessary information.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Assuming the solution provided is correct. Also, there is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas