cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Verify is very slow

ejdrijin
Level 4

Hi,

I am encountering problems that the verify part of the job is taking too long. Anyone have an idea of what this could be?

Regards,

A

7 REPLIES 7

Halwa_Wala
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are running the backup to a deduplication folder, than the verify will always be slow. It is recommended to configure verify as a seperate job when you run the backup to deduplication folder.

BE-Sandy
Level 2
Employee Accredited

hi ejdrijin,

Where is the backup job targeted to? If it is to a dedupe folder, we recommend scheduling the verification either after the job finishes as a seperate job or scheduling verification at a different time. Refer the following document:

How to schedule a verification job for Deduplication.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH88179

ejdrijin
Level 4

Thanks for your answer.

What is a deduplication/deduplication folder?

Regards,

A.

Halwa_Wala
Level 4

In simple language, deduplication folder is a disk storage which can be used to save disk space for backups.. Since you are not aware of what deduplication is, I assume you are not using it as a target for backup. What device is the backup job targeted to?

ejdrijin
Level 4

The target is a folder on the disk on the server itself.

Halwa_Wala
Level 4

Is this issue specific to the backups where GRT is used?

lippy_lilly
Level 0

I am having similar issues.  One week my full backup to disk (disk is drives on same server as backup exec 2010 r3, SPAK 4, hotfix 212812)  The backup server is windows storage server 2008 r2 sp1 and the majority of the data being backed up is on a remote server (windows 2003 r2 sp1).  I do a full backup every friday that is 1.2 tb.  one week it will take 8 hours, job rate 3528mb/min including verify.  the next few weeks it will take 38 hours, job rate 1870mb/min.  I have worked with tach support to troubleshoot a few minor things.  I installed all backup exec updates on backup server and all remote servers.  I have installed windows updates on all servers.  I have tried different network switches.  I have tried running without Mcafee virusscan even installed on both backup server and main file server.  (the 8 hour backup had mcafee virusscan running).  I have not found a resolution yet.  (04/29/2014).  I did find out last weekend that the verify was only running at 520mb/min and seems to be the bottleneck.  I have read articles in situations where the verify is the problem.