cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job start times changed after Daylight time change

Tim_Stowe
Level 3
Have 5 jobs scheduled to run daily (except Sunday) at 11:30PM and 11:45PM. The jobs take 7-9 hours to run and started and ran successfully on Saturday night 4/01/2006, during the time change. Monday night several of the jobs failed due to "loss of network connectivity...". Several servers are set to reboot before the backups (at 11:15PM). We then discovered that the job start times on all the backups had been changed to start 1 hour earlier, at 10:30 & 10:45PM, so the reboots were now occurring during the backups, thus the loss of connectivity. All server (the Backup and other server) clocks display the correct time and zone after the time change. We are running BE 10d, upgraded in June 2005 and did not have a problem with the time change in the fall. Anyone have any ideas on what happened here?
15 REPLIES 15

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer to the following document:

Due to time changes related to daylight savings time VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) for Windows Servers jobs will run one hour before or one hour after the previously defined schedule.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/267203

Please note that this problem should occur only once after the time change occurs and then the jobs should get scheduled correctly again.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to the �answered questions� pool.

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
Just as information, all of my jobs went back 1 hour and stayed there. I stopped and restarted the services on one machine to see if the time returned to normal, but it did not. The normal time was 10:55, now it is 9:55. I assume, in the Fall, it will go back to the correct time of 10:55. This should not be an issue. Thousands of programs deal with DST correctly with no problems like this. Come on guys!

Tim_Stowe
Level 3
I agree Mike. I still don't understand why BackupExec would care about DST anyway. Seems the program should keep the same backup schedule and defer to the system clock for any changes (or not) in time.

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
Yep, there has to be a better solution. Hopefully the "Engineers" at BE will figure it out sometime soon.

Thomas_J__Hawle
Level 3
We had numerous problems beginning on the weekend that Daylight Savings Time became effective, with Backup Exec jobs running one hour early and on the wrong days as well. Backup Exec needs to run in concert with other scheduled tasks, and when it doesn't a mess results.

It should be a major embarrassment to Symantec that this overpriced, quirky program made such a mess of things. It's not as if Daylight Savings Time is a new concept that no one could anticipate.

The answers posted thus far by Symantec support indicate that they still don't understand the full extent of the havoc caused.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Tim,

- Could you please update us one the issue....

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

tmcquaig
Level 4
We had a similar issue.

I used policiy templates to create my jobs. Disassociating the selection lists from the policy and reassociating it will recreate the jobs. This set my backup times to what I wanted...The System Time.

I agree with every post in here. Symantec needs to step up their support and their programming. CDT isn't anything new folks.

Tim_Stowe
Level 3
To update - I manually corrected the start times for my 5 jobs. I've also read the post from Veritas and understand that they 'may' correct the problem in a future release. What I still do not understand is why BackupExec is even looking at DST, this seems to just add another layer of complexity. The program defaults to the system clock for all other functions. My other concern is inconsistency of the problem - my jobs are very complex (i.e. difficult and time consuming to recreate) and have not changed since our upgrade in June '05, yet this problem did not occur for the time change last fall. So, for the foreseeable future, the problem that may or may not occur, may or may not be fixed.

Tim_Stowe
Level 3
Hi Trace,
Not sure I understand what you're saying here..."Disassociating the selection lists from the policy and reassociating it will recreate the jobs". I won't have to recreate my jobs from scratch? I was also under the assumption (obviously now false) that jobs created with the policy templates did default to the system clock.

tmcquaig
Level 4
If you are using policies, On the "Job Setup" tab. Right click a policy and choose "delete jobs created by this policy". Select the jobs this policy created. Click Ok to have them deleted. Then right click the policy again and readd (reassociate) by choosing "new jobs using this policy". This recreates the jobs and the times will be the normal times based off the system clock and not 1 hour before (or after).

Tim_Stowe
Level 3
Thanks

tmcquaig
Level 4
Anytime.

How come Symantec employees arn't answering these questions? They guy on the phone had no clue what I was saying then he put me on hold then came back and said it wouldn't work. Told me to set my times to 1 hour behind that this was the only solution.

I hung up on him. He was obviously wasting my time.

Tim_Stowe
Level 3
Sameplace I was - that's why I finally changed my times manually. I still have no idea if this is going to happen (randomly) again, which means babysitting critical backups twice a year and not being able to do anything until after they fail

tmcquaig
Level 4
We actually have about a 40 hour backup window on the weekends so we have our jobs set to a window of 23:59:59.When the time changed my backups didn't even attempt to run. They don't show as failed, missed, or cancled or successfull in job monitor. They don't show up at all. The schedules were all the same for infinity. I checked each day for the next year and they are always scheduled just right. Support couldn't answer why this happened and just blamed the time change. Told me to set the backup jobs 1 hour before manually. BE had already changed them to 1 hour before automaticlly.

I'm changing to Tivoli Storage Manager as soon as possible. Have quotes comming in today. I'm fed up with Symantec. This will be the last product I am ripping out of my enviroment that they have left here. We took their AV software out earlier this year.

Hate to do major changes like this but the product just doesn't fit our needs. And honestly just doesn't work as it should. Definatly not enterprise ready.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Did you refer the following Document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/267203

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.