cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joblog files are written in System32

Kristian_R_
Level 3

Hi,

I have a problem and don't no how to go on now.
The xml-Files BE is writing for each job are written in the system32-folder instead of the data-folder of BE. If I change the path with beutility it looks OK and the registryvalue looks fine to. Anyway BE writes the file to system32.

I also thought it could be a security-problem. For testing I gave "Everyone" "Full Control" on the data-folder. No changes anyway.

Anyone knows a solution for that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Well I managed to check on a BE 2012 Beta installation however assuming the reg keys are the same

Go to

HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Misc\

Look for a value called: Job Log Path

If it is not there create it as a Reg SZ key (and yes there are spaces and capital letters in the name)

Set the actual value data to: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data

Then restart your services and run some jobs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After you change the path, did you restart all the BE services?

Colin_Weaver

Although we have seen this before it is a rare one that also usually means that a vxgather capture for support purposes will not get the log files

It is a registry key entry that is blank instead of specifying a valid path that causes it - unfortunately I am not in a position to verify the specifics today (as I don't have access to any of my BE test servers), but  will be able to confirm by early next week.

EDIT: I note that you have referred to a registry value - please confirm which value you are looking at?

Note: Bear in mind once you change it, if you also remove the existing logs from system32, you may have problems accessing them from the BE Console as every job log creates a reference inside the bedb which will not be updated by changing the registry.

Kristian_R_
Level 3

Hi, thanks for your fast response.

I looked at HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Misc\Data Path
I tried to change that by my own to a different folder (including copying the content of the data-Folder to the new folder) but there are no changes too. After that I changed everything back to prevent any possible problems.

@pkh: The services restarted by the beutility and when I changed it by my own they were restarted too.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I have the same issue with 3 of my servers that decided (after upgrading to R3) to point to C:\WINNT\System32 as well...look forward to the solution here so I can also configure it on my side.

Kristian_R_
Level 3

Hi, I checked the registrypath

HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Misc\Data Path

Regards, Kristian

Colin_Weaver

Well I managed to check on a BE 2012 Beta installation however assuming the reg keys are the same

Go to

HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Misc\

Look for a value called: Job Log Path

If it is not there create it as a Reg SZ key (and yes there are spaces and capital letters in the name)

Set the actual value data to: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data

Then restart your services and run some jobs.