cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs Don't Start

Level 2
Hey Guys:

I've been running BE 8.5 for several years, with nary a hitch, until recently. On 01/07, our normal nightly backups ran fine, with no errors. However, since then, my scheduled jobs fail to fire! They are all noted as "pending," even when I try to run a job "Now." If I restart the BE-related services, the job window tells me that the pending jobs were "Missed."

I have tried creating new job schedules, and have tried running various jobs "Now." I've turned the Virus scan off, and then back on, but that doesn't affect anything. It's almost as if BE never sees that the job time has passed the system time.

There are no errors logged in the Event Viewer, nor in any of the BE-related logs. It's as if no job is scheduled, even though they are.

Has anyone run into this? I've spent alot of time researching this since last week, but to no avail. Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanx,
Jay
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
> Hey Guys:
>
> I've been running BE 8.5 for several years, with nary
> a hitch, until recently. On 01/07, our normal
> nightly backups ran fine, with no errors. However,
> since then, my scheduled jobs fail to fire! They are
> all noted as "pending," even when I try to run a job
> "Now." If I restart the BE-related services, the job
> window tells me that the pending jobs were "Missed."
>
> I have tried creating new job schedules, and have
> tried running various jobs "Now." I've turned the
> Virus scan off, and then back on, but that doesn't
> affect anything. It's almost as if BE never sees
> that the job time has passed the system time.
>
> There are no errors logged in the Event Viewer, nor
> in any of the BE-related logs. It's as if no job is
> scheduled, even though they are.
>
> Has anyone run into this? I've spent alot of time
> researching this since last week, but to no avail.
> Any clues would be appreciated.
>
> Thanx,
> Jay

What is the status of the drive from the Devices tab?

if you stop all BEWS services, can you use the drive with NTBAcup

Level 2
The tape drive shows up in the Device tab, and it's status correctly changes when I input or eject tapes.

The drive works fine if you use NTBackup.

I'm wondering if the problem isn't related to MS KB885835. In the early hours of 01/08, this update, along with 3 others, were installed on the server. Since then, I haven't been able to run any jobs outside of a virus update.

- Jay

CAnderson
Level 3
I ran into the same problem when I was on 8.6. I had to delete the jobs that were pending in the job monitor, then stop all the BE services after closing the GUI, then open the GUI back up and re-schedule those jobs for a few minutes later. This worked for me on 8.6, I am not sure if it applies to 8.5. Good luck.