cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jobs ejecting media at certain point (post-11(d) upgrade)

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
Recently upgraded 10(d) server to 11(d).

Our jobs run overnight. Jobs are ejecting media at a certain point (75GB seems to be the norm). The only thing I changed in our backup jobs was the addition of encryption. Every morning when I come in our tapes are ejected and both jobs are sitting in a state (about 3/4 done) and asking for the media to be loaded with a yellow question mark. If I load the media, the job immediately spits it back out. Jobs are set to overwrite. Overwrite options set to in Options. Media being used was last used with version 10(d).

Have obtained and installed latest Hotfix from Symantec. Have obtained and installed latest LiveUpdates from Symantec.

Is encryption the issue here? If so, do I have to purchase all brand new media in order to get around this since our old media didn't incorporate encryption and now the new version which does incorporate it can't overwrite our old media?
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds like the tapes are filling up. Perhaps encryption "Bulks up" the data somehow. We probably need a Symantec Tech to weigh in on this

What kind of drive and media do you use?

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
We are using two different drives.

They are both Quantum DLT VS160's, however one is the "V4" model, which is newer and supports the new 320GB compression (however that's not yet in use and we are still backing up to 160GB compression values).

We use the Sony DLT VS1-160 tape medium. However, I have a brand new, still wrapped barrage of tapes for '07 that are all the new Sony DLT VS-160 V4's (which support the 320GB compression).

Both of our backups are very close to maximum. One backs up approx. 120GB's and the other backs up approx. 105GB's.

You've made a great point, Ken. Perhaps the encryption is taking up a lot of space. I could try to run the jobs sans encryption, however then what would've been the point of upgrading? :) Not asking this of you, just putting it out there in case Symantec does choose to weigh-in (which I doubt).

I think at this point what we'll do is go ahead with the newer, higher-compression 320GB tapes and see how things work out with encryption then.

Thanks again! Jack

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
UPDATE

I put in our newer Sony tapes that incorporate the higher 320GB compression last night and ran our jobs. The quit right at 75GB apiece, which tells me that BEX isn't utilizing the compression and thinks the tapes' compressed capacities are 160GB (75GB is roughly half of 160GB and since we're incorporating encryption, the backups are larger).

So my next question would be:
Does BEX 11(d) support DLT V4 320GB compression?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmmm

Stupid question first

Did you verify that the jobs still specify HW compression?
From the Devices Tab, right click the drive\Properties is "Enable Hardware Compression" still selected?

Have you tried specifying SW only just for one run and debugging purposes?

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
Hi Ken,

First off, there are no stupid questions, most certainly. :)

Yes I did indeed check that "Enable Hardware Compression" is still checked. I will try specifying SW only and see how that works out.

Upon further research, I think I might know what's wrong. It may be my devices themselves and not BEX that's causing the problem. I am awaiting further information from another source at this point. I'll be sure to post updates as I get more info and the situation develops. You never know who this info might be helpful to.

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers, Jack

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
UPDATE

Backups completed successfully last night, sans encryption. Job rates were consistent with 10(d) jobs, so no changes there. Will be nice to utilize the encryption functionality of the product, alas that won't be realized until we upgrade our Quantum's.

Thanks for the helpful advice, Ken! Hope this helps someone else out there.

Cheers, Jack

ccsa
Level 2
Hi there

Recently upgraded from 10.x to 11d. The tape is being ejected during the verify - so that should rule out capacity problems. I do not have them eject at all as this caused other problems - but now it's hit or miss as to whether the backup completes at all.

Is this a rarity of common with 11d (and what can I try to prevent it).

Thanks
Dave