cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library Expansion Option 11d key question

Glubber
Level 2
My office upgraded to 11d December 2007.  With this, we also installed a Dell ML6020 tape autoloader with 82 tape slots and six LTO-3 tape drives.  Because you need the LEO to run more than one tape drive, my office purchased 1 license of LEO 11d quantity 5, which gave me ONE keycode via the licensing portal (grumble, grumble, grumble on that thing..). 

When I put that keycode in, Backup exec only recognizes TWO drives for the autoloader and FOUR stand-alone drives. 

From reading through the forums, it looks like I need a FIVE seperate LEO license keycodes for all the drives to operate.  Is this correct? 

What I got from Symantec was one license with a quantity of five that I could install in FIVE different two drive libraries.  Does this make sense?

Confirmation on this would be greatly appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Glubber,

The licenses are working correctly. 

What you will need to do is in Backup Exec, move the stand alone drives to the library.  You can do this from the device configuration wizard to configure the library.  In this wizard you will be able to drag the standalone drives and drop them on the library.  Once this is completed all the drives will be listed under the library and everything should work correctly for you.

Glubber
Level 2
Blipsey,

If only that easy.  Already tried that, going into Tools-wizards-device configuration and configure robotic library.  Two drives show up as attached to the library, four other as stand-alone.  When I try and drag one of the stand alone drives down the library the only option it will give me is to REPLACE one of the two active library drives with a stand alone.

So Drive 1 and Drive 2 are in the library.  Drive 3, 4,5 and 6 are stand alone.  When I drag a stand alone drive, say drive 3, I only have the option to replace Drive 1 or Drive 2.  If I high light over Drive 1 and left click, Drive  1 is now displayed in the stand alone section and Drive 1 and 3 are now in the library.

Does it matter that I installed Backup Exec 10d first and uses a ONE qty LEO version of 10d before I upgraded?  After the upgrade, I installed the qty5 of LEO 11d that we purchased.

Another point of interest is that we have dual SCSI adapters in the server.  SCSI channel A  (SCSI ID 3)controls Drives 1 and 2, SCSI channel B (SCSI ID 4) controls drives 3, 4, 5 and 6. 

The tape device uses LUNs and they are set correctly.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Interesting.  Run through this technote for me, I'd like to see the server logs.  Enter in all 4's for the case number and select upload via ftp when prompted.  Let me know when finished, and PM me the file name. 

http://support.veritas.com/docs/285911

Glubber
Level 2
Thanks for all  your help!  I was able to get the other four drives recognized by Backup Exec.  It was a hardware issue.  I needed to put the other four drives into the library partition on the ML6020.  Once I did that, I deleted the tape library and tape drives and rebooted. 

After the reboot, the drives all showed up inside the tape library.