cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library Expansion Option when used with Dell PV-122T VS-80 Autoloader

Jason_Vickery
Level 2

I am trying to wrap my brain around what exactly this Library Expansion Option license covers.  I have a BU Exec Server with an attached Dell PV-122T VS-80 Autoloader (I'll just continue to refer to as 'device').  The device has 8 slots in it but according to the Backup Exec Devices tab, has only 1 "Drive element count".  To the best of my knowledge our company has never purchased a Library Expansion Option license for use with this device, and I have been with the company for 2-1/2 years.  When I started with the company they were running Veritas SW, I believe version 9.  We are currently running version 12 of Symantec Backup Exec and still have not been notified of any license issues in regards to the device as some others have indicated in their posts.  Our current licensing is due to expire at the end of July so I have been doing my due diligence to guarantee we will be compliant.  In talking with some Symantec reps about our licensing I was informed I had to purchase this Library Expansion License.  Of course this came as a shock because I had never even heard of it.  One rep told me I only needed 1 license to be compliant, another told me I needed one per every 3 slots in my device, and the document located at this URL (http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278372.htm) contradicts both of them.  Please help me understand when it is necessary to purchase these licenses.  As far as I can tell I am covered with the 1 that is provided with the Backup Exec Server software/license and I don't need to purchase any additional.

Thanks,

Jason

3 REPLIES 3

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

Don't worry, you don't need an LEO license. You only need them for each additional tape drive in your library.

The thing to do with the number of slots is complete rubbish.

Jason_Vickery
Level 2

Thanks Hywell.  It is comforting to know that someone else interprets it the same as me.  I am going to renew my licenses without that one included.

IMG_BE_Tech_Hel
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

In your case with only 1 drive in your library you do not need any LEO (library expansion options)

In regards to the Auto Loader Library) the licensing works like this.

If you had 1 library with 2 drives in it, you would only need 1 Library Expansion Option.   The first drive in the first library is considered built in functionality.   Therefore if you have 2 libraries attached to a server or SAN with say 4 drives in each library you would need 7 Library Expansion Options    using the forumula N-1   where N = total number of drives in the library(s) when attached to a single server or a SAN where the drives are not zoned.

In a tape library, slots  have absolutely no bearing on the licensing.  To go one step further you can have as many as you like stand alone drives also attached and need no further licensing.