cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library drive display as standalone drive after replacement

P40l0
Level 3

Hi,

after drive replacement on automated library "HP MSL2024 - MSL G3 Series" the drive is now ot out of the library and displayed as standalone drive, but it is in the automated library HP MSL2024. There is no way to manually add the drive to the library in backup exec?

I have already done tapeinst.exe, re-installed/removed HP drives for both, tape and library, reboot the server and the library and so on ...I think that i have tryed anything, but nothing to do, the drive remain as standalone on backup exec server, why? The library and drive works fine, the drive is new. Backup exec server communicate correctly with drive and library, but leave the drive out of the library as standalone. So, I have create two logical partitions, for test, but no luck. The drive remain as standalone and "invisible" to the library. So, the drive ask to manually insert a tape.

I have only one server, no media server/remote server. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The hardware technician intervened. He reset the library to factory settings and finally the drive is back in place inside the library. Now, the tapes are correctly mounted by the automated library. Everything returned to normal. In fact, I had requested a second intervention of the technician after the first tests caused by the malfunction due to the replacement of the drive....anyway, everything fine that ends well.
Once again, thank you to all of you
Greetings

p.s. excuse me for my bad English!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi

I saw this multiple times, too.

I'm not 100% sure, but in my last situation I disabled and deleted the complete library (jobs have to redirected to another (temporary) Tape/B2D device).

After restarting the services the library was discovered correct. By deleting the temp. device you can redirect the jobs back to the newly created library device.

By doing so you will lost the robotic-specific statistics and you have to configure your media sets for the affected jobs.

----------

It would be great if you mark this as answer if it solving your question.

If this was helpful please mark this as solution.

Hi,

already did and more than one time. The jobs are redirect to "any storage with tape".

Thanks anyway

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi

Perhaps it help to delete the library and drives additionally from the windows device manager when BE services are stopped.

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Please post your adamm.log file.

@Lothar_Müller Already did too by windows device manager.

Now I have manually redirect each jobs to a temporary b2d area(2TB) and restarted windows. 

Edit:

Sytem restarted, same situation. Now I have installed Symantec drivers and rebooted the system(before the reboot I had uninstalled and deleted HP drivers from the device manager).

When system reboot, will post the adamm.log  

Edit:

Same situation. Adamm.log attached(trunched at June 2017 because size).

Lothar_Müller
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello

You wrote you have rebooted the library. Have you done a real power cycle when the server was shudown, too?

Drive or capacity change on a non-partitioned FC/SCSI library requires a reboot of the most librarys to rebuild the element ID table

Another possible issue. The new drive have to be assinged to the library partition over librarys' webinterface, although there is only one default partition. Perhaps a screenshot of the Homepage of the webinterface can help to locate the issue.

Regards Lothar

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

I would suggest resetting the library to factory defaults and power cycle it.

The adamm.log shows that the library doesn't know what tape drive(s) it has installed.  This is based upon the 0 and empty quotes in the Drive Element rows at the bottom.  If you look at the top of the adamm.log file (older), you will see at least one entry there.  I assume you only have one tape drive?

A factory default should be safe, other than maybe losing your library's network settings, but double check your MSL tape library docs,

0003:0000:0005:0000  Device Name             "\\.\Scsi3:"
                     Primary Inquiry         "HP      MSL G3 Series   6.20"
                     Serial Number           "HP      MSL G3 Series   DEC1500461"
                     Device Flags            UMD, SCSI, SN(TYPE 0)
                     Device State            3, Online

Device IDs              1028, {FE1D729C-D629-4433-935C-CCE0E4C72EA7}
                     Device Name             "Libreria automatizzata 0001"
                     Device Type             2131755008, "CHANGER FS=1"
                     Device Features         0x00006000: RMP,RRD
                     1st Slot Number         1
                     Number Of Slots         24
                     Portal Slots            0
                     Import/Export           Manual
                     Drives                  2

Drive Element 0         0, ""
                     Drive Element 1         0, ""

Yes, I have rebooted completely the library, turned off and turned on after drive change.

Unfortunately, the library is SAS, not parallel scsi and it is on a remote site, so I cannot see it phisically. According to it's documentation, cannot change SCSI ID of the drive(allowed only on parallel scsci). And so on ...seem a neverending story :^\

Yes, it have only one drive is a small library: two slot for drives and 24 for tapes.

On tuesday I had re-contacted the technician for the library again, today we should update ourselves.

Thanks at all! I will post future update

Best Regards

The hardware technician intervened. He reset the library to factory settings and finally the drive is back in place inside the library. Now, the tapes are correctly mounted by the automated library. Everything returned to normal. In fact, I had requested a second intervention of the technician after the first tests caused by the malfunction due to the replacement of the drive....anyway, everything fine that ends well.
Once again, thank you to all of you
Greetings