cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing with Symantec BE 2010

BTSKE
Level 4
Partner
We have a very simple network, 1 backup server and 20 workstations, nothing fancy. I'm a bit confused about the licensing quote I got from Symantec.
The quote includes lic for 1 server and 20 lics for the "laptop and desktop" option. what does that do? From what I understand the laptop option gives the ability to have the laptop backup itself when its off the network, and then sync to the server when is reconnected to the network.

But we don't need that. we just want a server that backs up a couple of folders on each workstation. Do we still need that laptop and desktop option?

thx.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

But we don't need that. we just want a server that backs up a couple of folders on each workstation. Do we still need that laptop and desktop option?

In order to do Disaster Recovery backups, you will need a copy of the Remote Agent installed and running on the remote computers.  XP and prior do not need a serial on the media server, Vista does   See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/245171.htm

if you only want data from specific shares, you can use User Defined Shares without an Agent installed on the remote machies, see  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/312057.htm

BTSKE
Level 4
Partner

Hi Ken, thanks for the info. A couple of questions.

It doesn't specifically say that this applies to 2010, but lets assume it does.

So if you already have the RAWS license, you don't need the "Laptop and Desktop" option, that would be optional if you want the extra features. correct?

But what about the other way, if you buy the Laptop and Desktop option, do you still need to buy the RAWS license?

Becasue thats what the they quoted me, just the media server lic and 20 lic for Laptop and Desktop Option.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

So if you already have the RAWS license, you don't need the "Laptop and Desktop" option, that would be optional if you want the extra features. correct?

correct

But what about the other way, if you buy the Laptop and Desktop option, do you still need to buy the RAWS license?

DLO protects user data.  RAWS will give you Disaster Recovery ability for workstation OS machines

noksukow
Level 3

I can only refrence versions prior to Symantec 2010.  Desktop and Laptop Option (DLO) is an agent installed on the workstation to backup a certain folder no matter who logs into the system.  For example, My Documents folder is backed up when there are changes made to that folder and its contents.  The DLO is a form of backup-to-disk feature.  My Documents folder is backed up to a share path that is setup through Symantec.  This could be folder where the Backup Exec is installed or a network share.

The main difference between RAWS and DLO is that DLO can backup files as soon as they change as appose to RAWS when the backup job runs/hits the system.