cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit storage space on backup folder

Ward_Dawson
Level 2
I have one of my backup jobs (incremental) going to a backup folder on another server, slowly that drive is filling up. Is there a way to convince Veritas not to write beyond a certain amount of data on that drive? If not what is the best way to start deleting old backups?

thanks

ward
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What is the retention period of the media set?

Ward_Dawson
Level 2
The only settings I have available to me in my media set are append and overwrite. Retension I thought was use with a tape drive. I am backing up to a hard drive.

I was just looking for a way to limit the space Veritas is using on that hard drive using a setting in veritas. I can accomplish it through windows but dont want to unless I have to.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
"Retention" as in Time to retain the tape, it is also called OPP - Overwrite Protection Period.

If you set that to say two months, after that Vertias should reuse the space on the B2D Folder

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
The disk storage can be controlled in the following ways:
1. As Ken said you may set the media rotation in such a way that the tapes get overwritten periodically and the tape storage is limited.
2.In the backup to disk folder properties:
- The Max size of the B2D files is 1Gb by default
- The max no. of backup sets is 100 by default.
Which means the max. size of all the backup sets put together will be 100X1 Gb.
- The next parameter Disk space Reserve allows you to maintain a disk space in reserve.
These parameters can be adjusted to suit your requirements.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Ward_Dawson
Level 2
My OPP is set at 4 weeks, but the backup files keeps increasing. It was mentioned that the max backup files is 100. I am almost there, so hopefully the problem may take care of itself when it reachs 100 files. Thanks for all the assitance.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Ward,
Keep us Updated then. We will await an Update from you.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.