cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Agents Randomly Showing in Remote Selections List

Level 2
As the subject says; when I go to add/modify selections for the remote linux agents sometimes the machines show, sometimes they don't. Sometimes a few will be there, other times NONE show.

Any ideas what could be causing this? All these machines are within the same subnet and can "see" the backup server. Backups proceed without error. It's really frustrating though if I need to make a change.... I have to keep checking back to see if they are listed as a remote selection. Weird.

- rm
4 REPLIES 4

Rick_M_
Level 3
Which Linux agent are you referring to, the legacy (agent.be) agent, or the new RALUS agent? If this is RALUS, were any of the machines upgraded from the legacy agent?

There are a couple possibilities, regarding agent advertisement interval and resource discovery, but the specific settings to look at differ depending on which agent we're dealing with.

Koenraad_Lelong
Level 4
I'm experiencing the same problem. It's the RALUS version I'm using, and on that machine there was never an agent installed before.
So any suggestions where to look ?
Rregards,
Koenraad Lelong.

Rick_M_
Level 3
This may be a problem with the advertising interval. By default, the RALUS agent only advertises once every 60 minutes. If the media server is restarted after the last advertisement cycle, it will not see the agent again until a new advertisement is sent.

To change the default value, stop the agent, and edit the file

/etc/VRTSralus/ralus.cfg

the line you're looking for is

Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Agents\Advertising Interval Minutes=60

Change the value 60 to a smaller interval (say 5 minutes), start the agent, and see if that corrects the behavior.

Koenraad_Lelong
Level 4
Finally found some time to reply.
I set the interval to 5 minutes and this seems to solve the problem. I find it rather a workaround. What traffic is this generating on the network ?