cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logon Failure:

Dave_Myers
Level 3
I keep getting "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer" error. I checked the local credentials and the account has rights...any help would be appreciated
9 REPLIES 9

Dave_Myers
Level 3
Forgot to mention I am on SBS 2003, Backup Exec 9.1 Rev 4691

al_campbell
Level 3
If the user is in an Active Directory domain, follow these steps:

1. Log on to the domain controller as a Domain Administrator
2. Start the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in
3. Right-click the organizational unit (OU) in which the user right to log on as a service is granted, and then click Properties. By default, this is in the Domain Controller OU.
4. Click the Group Policy tab
5. Click Default Domain Controllers Policy, and then click Edit
6. Expand Computer Configuration, expand Windows Settings, and then expand Security Settings
7. Expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment
8. In the right pane, right-click Log on as a service, and then click Security
9. Add the user that you want to the policy, and then click OK
10. Quit the Group Policy Editor, click OK, and then close the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.

Dave_Myers
Level 3
no dice... There is nothing really complicated about our setup and nothing has changed except that i installed some updates from veritas. I have rebooted the server and still the same problem. Stopped and started the services as well. Any other suggestions? It seems that the backup software ran fine after i installed the updates....then just quit on me...

Dave_Myers
Level 3
I am updating to sp3 to see if that will help.

Dave_Myers
Level 3
ok, I have updated everything, made sure the domain\administrator has rights to log on as a service and locally (from the instructions) and am still getting the message. I have no idea what to do to fix this and would really appreciate some help. I had to do a restore and luckily i had an old tape with the data...next time i might not be so lucky.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Try to remove the accounts from BE and re-create them again. See if that helps.

Regards
A van der Boom

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

If the machine being backed up is in the same domain as the backup exec server, giving domain admin rights should work. However this also depends on the resources being backed up. Please try recreating a domain admin level accouont in backup exec.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Dave_Myers
Level 3
I tried removing the accounts (Network>Logon account..) and it let me remove the administrator logon account, but not the system logon account. I recreated the administrator logon account and still the same problem. Oh, i also tried using the "replace" button to change the logon info for the jobs. Maybe I should list everything that seems relevant to the problem.

-SBS 2003
-using domain\Administrator as logon account
-domain\Administrator is a member of domain controllers and the OU in group policy is set to allow logon locally, run as a service etc.
-Backup Exec 9.1 has been updated to sp3
-I don't know if this has an effect, but i am using remote desktop to log in as admin to the server.

questions:
-should the username be the activedirectorydomain\username?
-what are the relevant service credentials in the group policy that pertain to BE logon. allow log on locally, deny log on locally, log on as service and deny log on as service are the ones that i know about

last, one thing i noticed that the Administrator account is a member of Remote Operators and in the GP, deny log on locally has Remote Operators in it. could that be it?

Dave_Myers
Level 3
I GOT IT......it turns out the problem was that the administrator was in the Remote Operators Group and the group policy is set to deny log on locally for Remote Operators. I was using remote desktop to log into the server and when i tried to log onto the machine itself...I got "the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively". I remoted back in and took administrator out of the remote operators group and now everything works. I can modify my backup jobs. I have no idea when the policy got set (I am the only one that works on the server) to deny logon locally.