cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost the SQL Server BE was pointing to

FRANKGLV
Level 2
I experienced a server crash that contained my Backup Exec 11d SQL database on.  Since I had BE pointed to a SQL installation and not to the BE Server what can I do to get BE up and running again.

I thought I might be able to re-install BE onto the existing server and selecting the MSDE SQL but I'm pretty sure I'd lose my catalogs and jobs.

Is there a way to point the BE SQL connection to another SQL server (or MSDE) without re-installing?  I tried using BEUtility but since contact with the old SQL server is gone it was unable to rebuild, repair, or dump the DB.
6 REPLIES 6

Anser_Arif
Level 4
Certified
hi,

Considering BE version 11d.

To save the jobs,
If the database is under the same instance of SQL on the SQL server. you need to use beutility.
Select the option "New Backup Exec Database Location".
Select the appropriate server and click OK to move the database.
For this, SQL database should be restored first on the crashed SQL server.
Remeber, you need to install the SQL instance on the server you are moving your database to.
To install, go to BE installer (\WINNT\INSTALL\SQL Express\).

To save catalogs,
Make sure you have the copy of \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs folder.

FRANKGLV
Level 2
The problem is I can't talk to the SQL instance to move the DB.  I try to run BEUtility and use the New Backup Exec DB Location but it can't talk to the old SQL instance because the server is dead.  The operation in BEUtility then fails.

What are the ramifications of uninstalling BE then re-installing it and using SQL Express?  Once BE is up I shouldn't I be able to recover the DB that way or will I loose everything if I do this?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Install Backup Exec

inventory the latest tape you have

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/268315.htm, except select "Recover Database" rather than "Dump Database"

You can also restore the \Catalogs directory to avoid  having to re-catalog each tape

FRANKGLV
Level 2
Thanks for your help and suggestions.  I was able to get they BE Server back up and all of my catalogs restored.  One small problem remains.  I tried to do a manual backup of the BE Database so I can place it on my Disaster Recovery Server but when I ran "Dump Database" in BEUtility the BEDB.BAK is no where to be found. 

I've checked the Media server and the SQL server where the DB resides and read http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/268315.htm but the file is in none of those places.  Is there a setting I can check or someplace in the registry to find where the file went?  Very puzzling.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
That tech note does say to start SGMON  before running BEUTIL, and then check the SGMON.LOG

if that doesn't help, don't know what to tell you

FRANKGLV
Level 2
Thanks for the heads up about SGMon, didn't even see that. 

I'll just post this in case anyone has a similar problem. 

SGMon indicated that the Backup went into <Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\Backup, which was empty but I did find it in the next root up under Data, however.

I didn't see anything is SGmon to indicate why there was a discrepancy between what was logged and what was real, but needless to say I'm back up and running.

Thanks to everyone for the help!