cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost with BAckup Exec 12.5

SEPvictim
Level 3

Hi.

I am lost and Symantec is not willing to help. Have a Backup Exec 12.5 on a SBS 2008 installed. Lost a couple of folders and want to restore... BUT....

All recent backups do not have these folders anymore. So I found an old disc that should contain those folders..but it is afull backup of the server...  BUE can even identify the files it needs... But I just want to restore a few folders not the whole server.. how do I get this stupid programme to read out the content of the backup but not to restore everything....????? I do not want to overwrite my exchange with old files.. etce.. I am lost. this programme is a mess in terms of usability. Can anyone help??? PLEAAAASE ...Urgent

Axel

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The only way around this is to duplicate the Information Store to disk for instance and then use something like Kernel or Exchange to crack open the resulting *.edb file and pull out what you want.

Read below on how to do this with BE 2010...it's exactly the same with BE 12.5:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

For normal files and folders, you can do a redirected restore. Read below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5822

Thanks!

SEPvictim
Level 3

Seems I have to clarify:

The backup covers complete server including exchange, SQl, etc. - But I only need a few files and folders from the normal file system. However, what ever I do, I cannot see / Select any details but the whole backup...??? Seems a bit strange.. all things I have read say that you can select parts of a backup snapshot.. I can't.. What am I doing wrong?

CraigV

...thanks for that. Post a screenshot as that doesn't seem right...

THanks!

SEPvictim
Level 3

all files needed are on the disk.. but I cannot see any details... and I am afraid to trigger a full restore.. do not want to overwrite my YBY with old data...

SEPvictim
Level 3

Backup Exec Screen 1  2014-07-17 21.29.00.png

CraigV

...and the other 2 options below that?

SEPvictim
Level 3

these are only incremental backups. Same phenomenon: I cannot see details...

CraigV

...try duplicating the information to a different drive and see what you get.

Matter of interest...I see there are a number of B2D files. Did you perhaps duplicate these to tape, or simply back them up? If you backed them up (which isn't recommended) it might explain why you can't restore any files...

Thanks!

SEPvictim
Level 3

I suppose that it is a simple backup. But I am neither the person who installed this at the time nor am I very skilled with backup at all... I just have to live with the consequences (and realise that even people who are highly paid for that kind of work) sometimes do not produce good backups... :(

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are you sure these are on disk and not on tape? Because if this is very old data it is not in the catalog and you have to catalog the media.

SEPvictim
Level 3

yes i am 200% sure that I have a disk in my hands. No idea what you mean by tape. Yes I tried to get it into inventory and catalogue it but for whatever reason it does to execute the order.... I am running mad here. This programme does nothing as it should do.

CraigV

You need to establish the following:

1. Did the primary backups go to disk first? If yes...

2. Did the previous person just backup the *.bkf files (if so you have a problem!) or duplicate them?