cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lotus Notes agent for Notes on Linux?

Sebastian_Kayse
Level 2
Hi,

we have planned to setup some new Lotus Notes servers on Linux (SLES9) and would like to backup them using our existing BackupExec installation (we have RALUS in use for some other of our Linux servers).

According to what i read on the SCL, database agents (including notes) are only supported on Windows.

---

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264484.htm

Note: Backup Exec database agents are supported on the Microsoft Windows OS platforms that the database manufacturers themselves support.

---

Is this right?! If so, are there any proposals on how to do backups of Notes on Linux with BackupExec otherwise?

Regards,

Sebastian
4 REPLIES 4

Ross_McKerchar
Level 3
I too find this very annoying.

I currently use a cron job running nightly on my notes servers to:

1. Shut down domino
2. Create a compressed tar.gz archive of /local/notesdata (overwriting the previous night's one)
3. bring domino back up

Then, later on in the night Backupexec picks up the tar.gz files on the notes servers.

I wasn't too happy with this approach and tried various other methods first (such as replicating to a mounted network drive and creating a tar whilst keeping the server up), but as it turns out this has been the most reliable. A bonus is that the notes directories compress really well (mine are about 1/4 of their original size). Let me know if you're going down this route and I'll post some of the shell scripts I've written.

Of course it involves domino downtime, so if your organisation cant cope with this then tough luck. An alternative could be using LVM to take snapshots of the the filesystem, which can apparently be done live, they could then get picked up by backupexec. I didn't try this as I seem to remember it would've involved a complete rebuild of the server for me.

Of course this is all unecessary extra work and creates more things to go wrong.

If only Veritas would make good on their (I quote) "continued commitment to Linux, which we see being used more and more in business critical situations". Hmm.

-ross

Sebastian_Kayse
Level 2
Hi Ross,

thanks for your response. Good to hear that we are not the only one struggling with RALUS.

Your idea about LVM doesn't sound bad, i think we will give this a try as we are just about to install the new servers.

Hi to the rest,

is there any symantec/veritas offical who can make a statement on the plattform support of the Backup Exec Notes agent?!

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Backup Exec 10.0 does not support this configuration. and does not have an agent for Lotus Domino installed on Linux.

The workaround for this issue would be to install the RALUS agent for linux backups. Which will then support a flat file backup of the Lotus Domino database.

You may launch an enhancement request on:
http://enhancement.veritas.com

You may also subscribe to our Email Notification Service for latest updates and new releases:

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Sebastian_Kayse
Level 2
Ok, thanks for the statement.