Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS's are not listed in the BE GUI Media Servers Tab

Jenni_BellMicro
Level 3
Partner
Hi BE Guru's,

I have an issue with a BE 11d (build 7170 with latest BE hotfixes) installation at the moment.

I have installed my CAS and also push-installed 2 MMS's. I chose MMS and SSO as part of the MMS installation.

When I open my CAS I do not see my MMS's listed in the Media Servers tab.

I checked using BEUtility and these servers are installed correctly with all the necessary options and I can add both MMS's into BEUtility's "All Media Servers" section.

How do I get the MMS's to list in the Media Servers tab on the CAS? When I go to the Devices tab I can see listed my CAS as well as both MMS's. I can also connect to each MMS via "Network -> Connect to Media server" without any problems.

Troubleshooting: I stopped the BE services on the CAS and relocated all files from D:\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data titled "msgq000*.dat" to a different location. Then I rebooted the CAS. But my MMS's have still not appeared.

Has anyone experienced this before? I would be really grateful for any help or advice.

Thanks,
jen
14 REPLIES 14

ROY_romaric
Level 3
Hello,

I have the same problem and i don't find anything

Steven_Eversole
Level 4
Hi!  I just now added a thread with the same exact problem, then saw this one.  You may want to watch my thread (and I'll watch your thread) to see if someone posts some helpful info.  My thread is titled:  "Backup Exec 11d - Managed Media Servers not showing up in Media Servers tab, jobs won't run, etc. ".   Good luck! :)

ROY_romaric
Level 3
Just for information :

I uninstall Be on all my server, purge database, reinstall be on my servers, change the database server.

I have the same result -> no MMS listed (i use french version 7170 + sp1 + hotfix18)

Arrrgggg if a complete reinstall make nothing i think i will call harry potter, maybe i could have more chance.

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Good morning all,

Engineering is currently working on a known issue with CPS losing connectivity to the MMS's. Please call support and open a case we can assis each of you as efficently as possible.

Regards,
Greg

Eric_Kufrin
Level 3
Same problem here. I already have a case open on this issue.

Let me explain the order of events:

Monday Morning:
  1. Email's recieved from onsite "tape changers" that they did not recieve job completion emails.
  2. So, I checked and it appeared as though none of my remote site MMS jobs ran.
  3. I did some searching and found a post that said DST was the problem, and the BE services needed to be restarted.
  4. From my management console, I remotely restarted the services of all of my MMS. One by one I saw them go into a status of Unavailible/No communication. As the services restarted on each MMS, they never returned to a connected status.
  5. I went to my CASO and restarted the services, and restarted the services manually at one remote MMS. No change in connection status.
Tuesday:
  1. Tuesday night jobs appear to have run at the remote sites. Manually verified via remote console and email alerts.

Wednesday:
  1. Support case started.
  2. Phone tech indicated mutliple customers having the same issue.
  3. Phone tech did not perform any troubleshooting.
  4. Phone tech requested I gather logs from ALL of my MMS and update patch levels on ALL of my MMS. -- I pushed back and explained that this was a major problem for me due to the connectivity at remote sites. And also the fact that as a policy we dont just patch production servers durring business hours. After much complaining he said he would route me to escelated support and would recieve a callback within 2hrs. end call 330pm CST.
  5. Did not recieve call back prior to EOD 5pm.
  6. At 10pm, I updated all of my MMS to 7170 SP1. They were all at 7170 HF12. All servers rebooted. Additionally, all servers have exact same patch level for Win2K3 current through last MS Tuesday patch day.
Thursday:
  1. Have tried calling support several times to resume support case.
  2. Have entered in case numer, and requested callback. Unable to speak with "real person".

CASE # 281245032

Eric Kufrin
Actuant Corporation
414-247-5361

Jenni_BellMicro
Level 3
Partner
Hi Greg
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if this problem is only found on build 7170? From Steven Eversole's post (which you also replied to) he didn't experience this problem on build 6235. As a temporary work-around could you post a link to allow me to download Backup Exec 11.0.6235 as I can currently only find links to 7170.

I have placed a support call with Symantec some time ago but haven't heard anything back yet.

Thanks

Greg_Meister
Level 6
The word I've gotten is that build 6235 is affected also, but there will only be a fix for the current build 7170. Anyone experiencing this problem on build 6235 will need to upgrade to build 7170.

Steven_Eversole
Level 4
Hi Jenni!  Glad we're getting some input on this!  Actually, I think I also had the issue with my v6235 CASO.  I think it was just my bad timing.  You see, the problems I had on that CASO had started on Friday.  Over the weekend I began rebuilding everything, and while rebuilding, I had noticed on that old CASO that all of the MMS's were showing up in red and saying "unavailable/no communication", as Eric stated previously.  I was just assuming that the status had changed to that because of the database problems and because of me being in the process of making the other MMS's standalones, but in actuality, it was probably because of this DST issue (if that is what's causing this).

Eric_Kufrin
Level 3
I just recieved word from Symantec support.

Hotfix 27 will solve the issue.

If you are experiencing the issue, start a case. As that will be the only way to get the hotfix till its general release.

They will be sending it to those who have a case on the issue. I will report back once I get it and have it installed...

Eric_Kufrin
Level 3
It worked!! HF 27.... :)

Jenni_BellMicro
Level 3
Partner
Hi Eric,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I am waiting for symantec to send me this fix as well so hopefully this will fix all my issues too.

Have a nice weekend x

Dave_Pavlicek
Level 3
Any idea when this will be release to the public ? Its frustrating there is no workaround for this. I would prefer not to wait on hold for 5 hours to get the hotfix. I don't mean to sound curt, but I spent the last few days pulling hair out trying to determine why the media servers lost communication. Talk about a frustrating process.

Nicholas_Day
Level 2
Hey guys.
I am experiencing this exact problem.

I've upgraded to rev 7170 and SP1 and need to get my hands on hotfix 27 desperately!!

if any of you have already recieved it from your support call I would be forever in your debt if you could email me a copy of the hotfix!

No spam please.

cbr
Level 2

They just sent out the technical advisory a little while ago:  http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293948

Unfortunately for me they only had the "orphaned" release when I was on the phone with support and it ended up killing my MMS again.  We tried removing the CAS and readding it and it just blew up.