cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Cluster Quorum remote agents

andy_gandhi
Level 3
Question:

2 physical nodes, and 3 virtual nodes (all Win 2k3 server) all acing as file servers ONLY.

Which OS's get the remote agents? Only the physical? Only the virtual? do I have to get 5 licenses (3 for virtual OS)?

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

It seems that it is a two node cluster.

Is Backup Exec cluster aware?
If Backup Exec is outside the cluster then it is necessary to install remote agents on both the nodes.

Please elaborate the cluster environment.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

andy_gandhi
Level 3
I"m not sure what "backup exec being cluster aware" means, I couldn't find anything in the hand books I recieved with version 9.

It is a two node cluster which manages a data server.

no dhcp, no exchange, no novell, just straight windows w/ shared volumes.

2 physical nodes, 3 virtual OS.

Should I purchas more then 2 licenses when upgrading to 10?

patrickkuah
Level 6
yup... you need two licenses...one license per physical node.
correct me i'm wrong..

patrick

andy_gandhi
Level 3
thanks,

I'll attempt it on a test system (media server) with my file servers. the only reason I asked is I couldn't get vertias 9.1 to work without installing remote agent on all 5 win2k3 os's (2 physical, 3 virtual) so i'm hoping w/ ver 10 I can

patrickkuah
Level 6
Are you talking about 2 nodes Microsoft cluster and there are 3 cluster name and ip configured??? or you talking about 3 virtual OS (like vmware)???

patrick

D_L_B_E__Raes
Level 3
Hi Andy,

If you use a Backup server witch act's as the Primary media server you will need to install backup Exec on each physical server. Also on Node1 and Node2 you'll need to install the Remote Agent, this is because the virtual nodes will be a copy of the physical (services) and the virtual servers need a remote agent to be backed-upped. Any shared storage like a SAN you will backup thru the virtual (in case of a fail-over the shared storage will still be available) nodes.

So in your situation you will need 2 Backup Exec licenses, 2 remote agents.

Hope it helps

Gr Dimitry

andy_gandhi
Level 3
Hi Dimitri,

Thansk for the info, I guess I wasn't clear, I have an independent media server, but your information on the two physical nodes make sense.

I'm presuming 1 vertias be ver10 license (for my media server, not on the cluster/seperate box), and 2 remote agents for the physical nodes on the cluster quorum should be sufficient.
right?

thanks again.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you have tow node cluster environment so you will require one Backup Exec for window sservers license and two remote agent license to backup two physical nodes.

You can refer following document as an additional information:-
Using Backup Exec™ for Windows NT® with Microsoft® Cluster Server
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/247547.pdf

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

D_L_B_E__Raes
Level 3
Yep thats almost right.

If you have a SAN like we do, and you want to make use of the 2gbit fiber Channel(high speed backup) you wil need to install Backup Exec on each node and install the remote agent on each node. This because you can only use the 2Gbite FC thru the local server. So if you need the high speed backup you will need to backup that server localy, then it will use the 2Gbit FC
If you backup your servers over the network then you are right.

hope it's clear. reading it back it doesn't sound good but it's about right.

hope it helps

Gr Dimitry

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Andy,

Please let us know if you could setup the cluster nodes using two remote agent licences as told in the previous responses.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

andy_gandhi
Level 3
I will have my results by the end of the coming week and will pass them along. Thanks everyone for your input.

Andy

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.