cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS06-014 MDAC update =? Error 1065: The database specified does not exist

Level 3
Hello-

I am unable to start the Backup Exec Device & Media service. The service fails with the following error: Error 1065: The database specified does not exist. This problem is similar to that is discussed in veritas support article: 267799. See:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267799.htm

I suspect that this is related to the Microsoft patch for MS06-014. This patch fixes a remotely exploitable vulnerability in MDAC. This patch is required on 2003 SP1 (including 2003 R2) & older & was installed on the affected system approximately when this problem appeared.

See:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-014.mspx

Msadco.dll is updated to version: 2.82.2651.0 by MS06-014. The MDAC Component checker verifies this.

As far as I can tell on the Symantec site, nobody from Symantec has tested Backup Exec with this latest, patched version of MDAC. (Has anyone tested this?)

I have tried replacing the updated Msadco.dll with the previous version (verifying that it was not overwritten by WFP) & recycling services. Didn't fix the problem. I then tried stopping SQL services & uninstalling the update. Original version is restored, verified by MDAC Component checker. Device & Media service still will not start.

Due to service window restrictions, I have not been able to restart the entire server. However, MS docs indicate that no restart should be required. Does Backup Exec requires a system restart to notice changes (seems like it shouldn't).

Has anyone else seen this? Anyone running 2003 SP1 + MS06-014? Backup Exec is 9.1.

Thanks!

-Matt
11 REPLIES 11

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
There have been many reports of problems with 2003 SP1 on the v10 forums. As far a I can tell, Veritas/Symantec have no response yet

Level 3
OK, thanks for the heads up Ken.

Here is where I stand today:

I scheduled a restart of the server last night. This was after uninstalling MS06-014 (KB911562) hotfix, and after verifying with the MDAC component checker that Msadco.dll (and everything else) was consistent (MDAC 2.8 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 SP1). This morning, I discovered that the restart did not help. Backup Exec Device & Media service still fails on start. I reran the component checker to find that Msadco.dll is again listed as 2.82.2651.0. After a quick check, I see that the server was re-pushed the update last night � since it was no longer in compliance. (duh!)

This whole process is especially annoying since ultimately I don�t want to have to run backup exec without this patch. Can someone from Symantec (this list is moderated, right) please verify *if* there is a problem with MS06-014 and version 2.82.2651.0 of Msadco.dll? If someone can confirm this is NOT the cause, I need to start looking somewhere else...

In the meantime, I will be stopping update management for this server, uninstalling the patch again, and then scheduling another evening reboot. I will post with any results.

If anyone has any other advice or ideas, I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

-Matt

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

It would be better if you update us on the event ID generated regarding device and media service ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Level 3
Oddly, the service is not logging an error to the system or application event log. Perhaps it is exiting with a non-error value?

Attempting to start the service by either the services MMC or the command line results in the same failure:

--

net start "Backup Exec Device & Media Service"
The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service is starting.
The Backup Exec Device & Media Service service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 1065 has occurred.

The database specified does not exist.

--

I just verified (using MDAC component checker) that the MS06-014 has been removed last night & is still gone this morning. The problem remains.

What are the prerequisites for this database to be connected?

Also, I have tried running a ODBC trace, but without success. This is most likely operator error (me), but it is not generating log files, at least not at the FQ path that I am specifying. I have tried enabling an ODBC trace both via registry edits and with the Data Source Administrator GUI.

Has anyone else had problems after installing MS06-014? (or is this perhaps unrelated?)

-Matt

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Perform the following steps and verify the results.

1. Run Beutility from \Program files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT

2. Add the Backup Exec server to All Media Servers ( File >> New >> New Media Server )

3. Right click on the Backup Exec server listed in "All Media Servers" and select "Repair Database"

4. Check the results after repairing the database

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Level 3
Thank you for the advice. I tried that, no better. Transcript as follows:

Starting database repair.
Stopping Services
Stopping services for server:%COMPUTERNAME%.
Server:%COMPUTERNAME%, Service:BackupExecJobEngine stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:%COMPUTERNAME%, Service:BackupExecRPCService stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:%COMPUTERNAME%, Service:BackupExecDeviceMediaService stopped successfully or was not running.
Stopping services for server %COMPUTERNAME% completed.
Performing repair for BEDB database.
Starting Services
Starting services for server:%COMPUTERNAME%.
Server:%COMPUTERNAME%, Service:BackupExecDeviceMediaService failed to start.
Starting services for server %COMPUTERNAME% completed with errors.
Database repair for server %COMPUTERNAME% completed.

..and then...

Starting database utility operation.
Performing database consistency check for BEDB database.
Database utility for server %COMPUTERNAME% completed.

Tim_Jackson_2
Level 2
I am getting the exact same problem. Any fixes yet?

Tim_Jackson_2
Level 2
This fixed mine after reboot: (from http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267689.htm )

2. Locate HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\BKUPEXEC\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\

*If the SuperSocketNetLib key doesn't exist, create it.

3. Go to Edit | New | String Value (REG_SZ)

4. Value Name = Certificate

5. Value data = 0

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

Not sure if Tim's reply worked, if it did you can ignore this. I just had this exact problem after this update.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274102.htm

This technote fixed the problem.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please update us on this issue to further troubleshoot the issue.

Regards,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
Sharvari Deshmukh

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Sharvari,

Is it just me, or do you suddenly get interested in further troubleshooting only when someone else posts a useful suggestion?