cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSL6030 Format des Mediums wird nicht erkannt

NeierS
Level 3

Hallo liebe Kollegen,

Beim Einsatz von Symantec Server Backup 2010R2 auf einem Windows 2008R2 Server mit einer MSL6030 LTO4 schlägt der Backupjob auf der Library fehl mit der Medlung, dass das Format des Mediums nicht erkannt wird => V-275-629

Die Anweisung, das Medium zu löschen um es wieder verwendbar zu machen wurde befolgt, führte jedoch zu dem gleichen Ergebnis.

Es wurde nicht erfolgreich getestet:

-  Verwendung von neuen Bändern

-  vorherige Löschung und Inventarisierung

- Austausch der Gerätetreiber, Nutzung der Treiber von Symantec als auch der HP - Treiber

Unter Synmantec 11d lief das Backup ohne Probleme.

Vorschläge sind gerne willkomen

24 REPLIES 24

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Are you using LTO4 tapes with the library? Or are they different versions of tapes?

Also, can you please post the full error?

Thanks!

NeierS
Level 3

Hello CraigV

thanks for your quick response. I am using original HP LTO4 tapes in that library. I tested an other trial backup Software on that server system, this software works fine.

Sorry for posting you the error message in german:

Das Medium wurde nicht erkannt.

Das Format des Mediums mit der Kennzeichnung "DMZ230L4" in Schacht "12" von Laufwerk "MRSLIB01: Drive 0" wurde nicht erkannt. Löschen Sie das Medium, um es wieder verwendbar zu machen

http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-275-629

but this is an information message, no an error message, but the library tested all slots and for each I got the message.

and got then a warning message:

Benutzen Sie den Importierbefehl, um ein überschreibbares Medium in den Wechsler einzulegen.

Überschreibbare Medien umfassen temporäre Medien, leere und wiederverwendbare Medien. Je nach der aktuellen Einstellung des Überschreibschutzes für Medien können importierte und zugewiesene Medien ebenfalls überschrieben werden. In der Online-Hilfe finden Sie weitere Informationen zu überschreibbaren Medien.

http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-275-439

and after that these 2 messages repeated.

The settings are, that the medium will be overwritten, I tried new tapes, tried to clean them, tried an inventory, tried an import as mentioned with no success.

As already mentioned before, we used the same librray successful with OS windows 2003 and the 11d Version, with no problems. Backup to Disk with 2010R2 works also fine.

Your help is much appriciated

CraigV

Weird...2 other things to try:

1. Get hold of Library and Tape Tools from the HP site, and do a write test. See if LTT writes successfully to that, and then make sure both LTT and the library's web interface show those tapes correctly. Stop the BE services before doing this.

2. Run LTT and make sure there are no hardware errors with the device...

NeierS
Level 3

Hello Craig,

I have done Read/Write tests with the HP LTT and the tese tests are successful. The web interface shows the tape correctly. As already written, I can do successfuly backups with the server and library, with an other Backup software, I had a 30 day trial from PresStore, witch work without problems.

Is there something additional to configure in the BE software?

Stefan

CraigV

OK...try the following:

1. Go to the Symantec website and download the latest drivers. Install them, and make sure you're using the Symantec drivers by going to Device Manager --> your tape drive, and check the Driver tab.

2. Make sure Removable Storage service is disabled, and other backup software services are not running and disabled too.

3. Update the firmware of the library, and then check within BE again.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have barcode labels on the tapes ? And if so, do they have the correct LTO-label on it ? (It should end with L4).

NeierS
Level 3

Craig,

I run update on the firmware of the drive and library, and I was on the Symantec website for the latest drivers. The installation of the drivers were successful, but I got an error in device manager, that the device got not be initialized ( error code 37). I tried to reinstall the drivers, deinstalled any Windows or HP tape drivers, but still do not get the drivers of Symantec running.

I tested once more the drivers, I got from HP Homepage. Here I got no error in the device manager, but still get the same errors with my backup.

NeierS
Level 3

Hello ZeRo

Yes, I use the oringinal HP LTO-4 tapes with the label with the labels from HP. The label end with L4, please see my error message..

The library these labels appear correct in symantec under devices and also under medium. Must I something additional configure in the settings of the software?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Now I remember that I have had similar issues with an MSL6030. It was working fine with Windows 2003 and Backup Exec 12.5. After switching to Windows 2008R2 and BE 2010R2 we ran into the same issues you had. We were lucky that the MSL6030 was end of the support contract and the customer did not wanted to continue with the device with support, so we could update to a new MSL2024 with LTO5 drives.

I am affraid that it will be a combination of factors that do not like eacht other. Maybe it is Windows 2008R2, maybe it is BE2010 or a combination.

NeierS
Level 3

These are that kind of news, that I do not really like to hear... :(

I got the same problems, I I try to run BE2010R2 with the MLS6030 on with OS = Windows 2003.

CraigV

...and the drives are attached via fibre channel, correct?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In my case the drives were connected via U320 scsi.

CraigV

OK, not connected to a RAID controller, but a proper SCSI card?

Have you updated the firmware for the SCSI card? What make of server is it as well?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Offcourse it was a normal scsi adapter, all possible firmwares updated to the latested versions. Server hardware was HP DL360G7.

CraigV

OK...just checked the Enterprise Compatibility Matrix on the HP site, and that confirms that BE 11d supports the library. The minimum version is apparently 9.0.

Is Removable Storage service stopped and disabled?

NeierS
Level 3

Craig,

I might be wrong but with OS = Windows 2008, there is no Removal Sorage Service.

In my case, I tried to connect the library either to the internal SCSI connector and the second try was to the RAID controller, both with the same results.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

NeierS,

As we already discovered above, the issue seems to occur with BE2010R2 and Windows 2008(R2).

With BE12.5 and Windows 2003 there are no issues with this library.

CraigV

Whoops...typo from my side. 11d was the first version listed as supported on the HP site, and I mistakenly put that in.

Has this ever worked?

What type of server is this? The internal SCSI connector will be a RAID controller, so it won't be supported to host a library...same with a stand-alone RAID controller. It has to be connected to a SCSI card...

NeierS
Level 3

Craig,

your question ragarding the used hardware:

Server: HP DL 380G4 with additional HP Smart Array 6400 controller,

as already mentiontioned, the same server with OS = Windows 2003 and Symantec Backup 11D was working without any problems. The the upgrade to OS = Windows 2008R2, we had to upgrade the Symantec software also, because 11d is not runable on Windows 2008R2.

So I tried the Symantec 2010R2 software on that server with os = windows 2003 R with the same problems I now have with 2008R2, so it must be the Sysmatec software or it' s settings, witch make the problems.