cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSSQL Server Cause Backup Server to Hang Up

Tom_Alway
Level 3
I am running Backup Exec for Windows version 10 on a Windows 2003 server. About once a week my backup server will "hang" up and become very unresponsive while backing up. When I eventually am able to log into the server to check it, I find that the MSSQL Server is using 100% of the resources. Stopping BackupExec does not clear up the problem. The only way I have been able to release the resources is to reboot the server. Is it possible that MSSQL is performing a backup of it's own? Or is there something in BackupExec that I am missing as far as a setting to fine tune it?
3 REPLIES 3

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Since when does this problem occur? What are you backing up in this job? Check for errors in the Windows event logs.

Ensure that you have installed the latest service pack for Windows as well as Backup exec and test the results.

If the issue persists, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Tom_Alway
Level 3
This problem has always occurred since I have loaded my backup server with version 10, approximately 10 months.
I have all the latest patches and updates installed; that was the first thing I did. There doesn't appear to be any errors in the event logs. The only thing I haven't compared is to see if it happens on a specific job or at a specific time. I was told to check to see if SQL was performing it's own backup but I don't see that option available on MSSQL

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

When the server hungs, does it generate any event logs in the Event viewer ? If so what are they ?

Are there other applications running at the same when the backup job is running ?

Stop the antivirus services during the backup job and check the results. It is for test purpose.

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.