cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail to disk backup help

burtos
Level 5

At the moment i currently backup the Exchange mail stores to tape - Mon to friday on tape a full backup on each day

Than on friday evening i do a backup of the mail stores to disk as well a full grt backup.

Would it be better doing a backup to tape all week mon to fri. and remove the exchange mail store backup from tape.

Im sure somewhere i read that when trying to restore an email from a tape backup you have to remount the email store but with disk you can just restore stright from that.  Can someone clarify if that is true or not.

Exchange 2007

Backup exec 2010 r3

Windows server 2008 r2 std sp1

5 REPLIES 5

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

Yes when you perform GRT backup of exchange to tape then while doing restore it stages the entire Mailbox database to disk were staging location must be provided as local disk

But when GRT exchange backup is taken directly to Disk no staging is required. It will peform restore directly

Please check this http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO12324

Thanks

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

To perform a GRT restore from a tape backup you need to stage the backup set on the disk.

EDIT : Refer to the below article.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-usi...

burtos
Level 5

thanks for your info, would it be better to back up the mail database to disk Mon - fri than or keep it still to tape, thats my big question

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

In most of the cases I have seen people doing backup to disk & then duplicating to tape so that you can overwrite the disk job every week & keep data on tape for a while. So that if you want to do restore from a backup set of few days back you have option of doinfg that from disk & for restore doing for a month backup you have it on tape

But if you only have one choice & I have got a good space to do backup on disk &  I will prefer doing backup on disk due to easy restore function and also you have option of doing GRT FULL & INCREMENTAL  backup to disk & as you cannot do GRT incremental backup to tape.

Thanks

Thomas_Dupont
Level 2

This may not be the optimal scenario, but this is how we do things in my shop.

We do a GRT monthly Full, Weekly Incremental and Daily Differential.

The Dailies we keep for 8 days, the weeklies we keep for 5 weeks,and the monthlies we keep for 2 months.

We also have email archiving for long term storage and retrieval.