cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox restore failing

Beethoven
Level 3
Had a server crash (RAID card failed, resulting in lost array) last week. Windows 2003 SBS with BE 9.1 SBS,including Exchange. Exchange backup was mailbox-level backup. Had to restore piecemeal from tape (i.e. recreate all users & restore their files to the server). The domain has been recreated from scratch.

Everything is fine except that every attempt to restore the mailboxes results in Access Denied errors.

Interestingly, I can backup a user's new mailbox, delete its contents, & successfully restore with no issue. Does the backup job hard-code the user ID used at backup time or something, or is there an issue of getting the mailboxes mapped to the correct user at restore time?
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I think that you are SOL unless you redirect each user's mailbox to the newly created accounts.  Even then, mailbox restores were problematical with v9.x

This is a prime example of why you need to do stores backups for DR situations and brick level for individual item restores - for selected high profile users only, if that

Also take a look at   http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm   to see if you want to even bother with brick level backups

Beethoven
Level 3
Thanks, Ken.

After lots of poking around yesterday, I got them restored by doing exactly what you say - I had to manually redirect each one. Not too bad, though - the system had only five users with mailboxes.

I don't do mailbox backups any more. This is one client I had configured a couple of years back & had never modified to a full store backup. After the restore, I reconfigured their Exchange backup w/o brick level backup & will get them upgraded to 11d ASAP.