Did you mean: 

Manual backup job to tape slot stays queued

Yorick
Level 3

Dear Reader,

Environment:

Windows server 2008R2
Backup Exec 2010 R3
Dell Powervault 124T 8 slots attached with SAS.

Our Daily backup jobs to Disk and then a duplicate to tape functions normal.
When I would like to back up some files from the backup server itself to tape, the job status remains queued.

I created a backup to folder named test and changed the device destination to the folder named test.
When I run the backup job it runs without any errors.

I tried running the backup again but this time I changed the device to tape slot 3 and the jobs hungs at queued. Before the jobs run I always run an inventory.

There are no event logs related to this issue, the servers has been rebooted.
No strange errors in the Symantec backup exec logs.

Does anyone has suggestions?

15 REPLIES 15

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Check the alerts , It can be that there is no overwritable media in the Library .

Yorick
Level 3

HI Sorry I forgot to tell, there are no alerts displayed and I have no filters configured in alerts.

The media in slot 3 is erased and brand new.

When I import the new media and run the job again and use IBM001 as the destination device instead pointing to slot 3 it runs and accidently using slot 3.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH69900

Edit : Also verify the Removable Storage Service is stopped and disabled.

Yorick
Level 3

HI Rahul,

I have WIndows Server 2008 R2 there  is no windows removable storage service.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb540725(v=vs.85).aspx

And my daily backup jobs with old and or new media are working fine.

Only when I make a selection on the backup exec server itself it fails to tape and succeeds for a folder backup.

I Will reproduce the error with debugging logging on and post the details.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

When I import the new media and run the job again and use IBM001 as the destination device instead pointing to slot 3 it runs and accidently using slot 3.

Normally, jobs cannot be targetted to slots.  So I would assume that you have partitioned your library into indiviual slots?  Maybe something is wrong with your partitioning setup or the job needs to be tweaked/recreated?

Dell_SamL
Level 3

Hello Yorick,

As Larry stated it is not good to target your backups to specific slots unless you are using partitions with the PV124T.  what I would do is to change your backup job so that it points to the PV124T itself.  When setting your job this way when the job is sent to the PV124T it will check the inventory logs and see which media is available and then it will use it.  Also you can see queued if there is a tape in the drive that has some space left on it and it is seeking the tape to find the end of data marker so that it can append the new data to the media. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Yorick
Level 3

Dear Dell_SamL

Sorry for confusing, but I am using partitions I was referring to it as slots.

@Larry Fine this is a brand new job, that has been updated (tweaked) to the right partition.
I even created a second brand new one yesterday but it also hungs at queued.

Partition three I am using is also being used every Friday and is working fine.
The issue only happens when I create new manual jobs for accidental extra backup purposes.
Our daily and week backups are working 100% in the different partitions.

I will try as soon as possible to reproduce the error with debugging logging options.
This could take some time because other jobs are running today and tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions and if someone has got another idea please let me know.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Does the server status show as "Paused" when the local server backup to tape is initiated ? (Open BEUtility.exe from \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec directory. In the middle pane, choose All Backup Exec servers and then your media server along with the status should be displayed on the right-side.)

Is BE updated with SP3 ?

Do you have the option to "Automatically display new alerts" enabled from Tools - Options - Preferences ?

Lastly, obtaining a debug would be a good way to isolate this further & SGmon.exe can be used for capturing the debug - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH4986

Yorick
Level 3

Dear Vivek Jain,

The server state does not pause, as far I have seen.

I am running 2010 R3 I suppose R3 is sp3.

Option to "Automatically display new alerts" enabled from Tools - Options - Preferences was unchecked, I enabled the option.

I will try as soon as possible to reproduce the error with debugging logging options.
This could take some time because other jobs are running today and tomorrow.

Thankyou for your information and input.

Many thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Click on Help & About and then Installed Updates. If SP3 is mentioned, then BE is updated, else not. R3 refers to release 3 and its a major version release, different from service pack 3.

Yorick
Level 3

Dear Vivek,

Yes i have got SP3 installed and there are no new updates available.

Greetings,

Yorick

Yorick
Level 3

Dear Readers,

When I rerun the job it runs without any problem at the moment.
Now it says the job fails but i cannot open it in web format. I have to open the log with a txt editor

It seems it cannot set a correct a closing tag, I will investigate this further for now many thanks for the support

I will investigate event logs etc, thankyou all.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to repair Backup Exec or even recreate the job and target another partition? What happens if you drop all your partitions (you can always recreate them) and then try this particular job again?

THanks!

Yorick
Level 3

Dear CraigV,

At this moment I dont have any problems at all. For some kind of reason the issue fixed itself...
I have not reinstalled backup exec 2010 R3 and or reconfigured the partitions.

I only ticked the box for automatically select open file technology instead of Microsoft volume shadow copy service.

But that could not be the fix because symantec is using VSS from microsoft when creating the backup.

Greetings,

Yorick

Uncle_T
Level 3

hello house,

How can i do a manual backup to tape with semantec backup exec 2010