cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual conversion of jobs from 2010 to 2014?

llichte
Not applicable

Hello!  I'm brand new at the organization.  One of the first jobs they've set for me is to create a Backup Exec 2014 server and convert all the jobs manually from the old 2010 server, with the idea that I'll be performing a basic audit as I do this to verify we're backing up all the things we need to be backing up.

The thing is, as I'm sure you're all aware - 2010's backup model is very, very different from 2014's.  It's all policy-driven instead of server-driven.  I'm wondering if anyone has a good general process they've used to decipher the 2010 policy into a new server-based job?

To complicate matters - because I'm new, I really dont' have a good idea of what all the servers are, or what they do.  There are about 280 of them in total.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,

Since you are planning to make use of Backup Exec 2014, you could simply try to migrate Backup Exec 2010 R3 to the new server and then upgrade to Backup Exec 2014 on the new server (I am assuming that you are currently working with Backup Exec 2010 R3 and have all the updates installed. Also, the new server has the same server name and operating system as the old server). 

By referring to the following steps, you do not need to worry about manually recreating the jobs: 
1. First, migrate Backup Exec 2010 to the new server by referring to the following article: How to migrate Backup Exec to another server with a different Windows OS version

2. Upgrade to Backup Exec 2014. 

Note: You may also refer to BEMIG as an alternative: 
How to use BEMIG to manually upgrade the Backup Exec database from a previous version

Also, if the Operating Systems are different, then please refer to this: How to migrate (move) Backup Exec from one system to another with the same version of BE, Windows an...

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There isn't any manual conversion of the jobs from BE 2010 to BE 2014.

You could consider running the BE 2014 installer on the existing BE server. If i recall, during the upgrade process, it will show you a migration report which shows how the existing jobs will be converted to the new version. You can review this report and then cancel the upgrade process.

Do ensure to copy the existing Data & Catalog folders prior to the above process.