cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number of subfolders in a Public Folder on Exchange Server 2003

Dale_Denis
Level 3
I am trying to backup individual public folders on Exchange Server 2003 but when the backup reaches a public folder that has more than 500 subfolders the backup fails with the error message of "0xe000fe09 - The directory is invalid." An error is recorded for each of the subfolders that are encountered once the 500 subfolder limit is reached. The individual subfolders do exist and they aren't being edited when the backup runs. At the same time that my backup fails an application error is recorded in the event log on my Exchange Server that states that "Mapi session...exceeded the maximum of 500 objects of type 'objFolder'". I could change the number of server objects of the type 'objFolder' that a client on my Exchange Server can open but as this is a global setting for all of my Exchange Server clients I don't want to do this. The public folder that is causing the problem will eventually contain tens of thousands of subfolders. Is there a way to configure BackupExec to backup these individual subfolders without having to change the settings on my Exchange Server. I am already backing up the entire public folder information store but I also need the more granular backup where I can back up these public folders individually.
7 REPLIES 7

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Dale,
Perhaps the following Article will help you:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/271186

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Dale_Denis
Level 3
Hi,

The public folder that is causing the problem will eventually contain tens of thousands of folders so I would have to increase the maximum number of folder objects by 60! Do you know if this will be a problem? Exchange server Enterprise Edition has the capacity to contain this amount of data, but will Backup Exec have problems when it tries to back it up? Will it use up all of the memory on the Exchange server causing it to collapse? I realize that it will create a security vulnerability, but will the backup even work? We have an ERP system that we have built in house that creates these public folders. If I am going to have a problem with the backups I would like to be able to plan for it now.

Thanks

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/266179

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dale_Denis
Level 3
No, this won't help. Amruta was right, the problem is with the maximum number of objects that a mapi client can open on an Exchange server. Please read the previous postings to this discussion thread a little more carefully.

I can increase the number of Mapi obects by editing the registry on my exchange server as per the article on Microsoft's knowledge base at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830829/en-us, but what I now need to know is will Backup exec cause problems on my Exchange Server if I increase the maximum number of objtFolder objects from the default of 500 to 30,000 or more?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

I would suggest you to do the modifications and take the backup and check the results. It should not afftect it.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Dale_Denis
Level 3
In other words.... you are saying that you really don't know what will happen to an Exchange Server when Backup Exec tries to backup a folder that has 20,000 - 30,000 subfolders? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dale

Eric_Sterner
Level 3
I have this same problem.

I would like to know if the solution of increasing the number for 'objFolder' to a number in the several thousand's will work without crashing the Exchange server, which I would rather not do. Microsoft suggests to increase by only 100 at a time. Will this problem be fixed in the future?? There should be something in the works...

This problem was also mention in this thread with no answers.
http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4414133?

Thanks!