cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Offline - Force To Stay Online?

Verified
Level 2
Hello Everyone,

Help with this problem would bre greatly appreciated. You know when you are backing up to an external hard drive and if it gets disconnect, it will state that the media is offline. If you connect it back you have to go put it back online. OK, well here is my problem. We are using hot swappable drives. We have 5 small hotswapple drives (actually uses laptop HD's, in cases, that goes intoa bay which reads them). Now I can swap them in and out all day long. Windows will pick it up, assign it the SAME drive letter, the whole bit. For some reason Symantec will still consider it "offline" even though the drive is in there and Windows has to problem with it. It says "online" but as soon as the backup starts it will tell me "offline", then I have to go cancel it, force it back on line through the program, and then manually start the backup. How do I get it to either force itself back online or to ignore that part all together? If it were to ignore the whole "offline" thing the backup would run right through, the drive is there and I can write to it all day. For some reason, backup exec doesnt like the new drive (even though its the same kind, same size, same drive letter, etc.

Please help!!!
I am having to do this manually every night and my client would flip out if they knew I was remoting in to do this every night.  They think everything is "automated" right now.

5 REPLIES 5

Verified
Level 2
TTT

Please...

Verified
Level 2
Why is my post being ignored?

Isn't this a support forum which is run by moderators who work for Symantec?

Nathan
Level 4
Sorry I can't help with the problem, but I can tell yah that moderated just means they make sure we don't go nuts and yell to much about their product, not that they actively assist with problems.  Although lately they've responded to alot of posts and tried to assist.  Mostly from what I'm able to gather this forum is designed for tech level users to help and share data with one another.

Verified
Level 2
Thanks for the heads up.

I just find it odd that no one has this problem. These are hot swappable drives that I am using. I've tried all my resources (called, KB, asked around, and now this forum) and no one sees to know how to configure Veritas with hot swappable drives. As SOON as the backup starts it goes "media offline", then I have to manually go in there and make it online. I dont mess with the drives, nothing...Windows see's it perfectly.

There has to be a way...

By the way pre-sales and sounded, and the lack of help here (even by moderators) makes me afraid that even if I do purchase a support contract they still wont know what I am talking about.

Nathan
Level 4
By hot swapable are you talking about drives you can just add and remove from a unit and use them in a similar fashion to a USB drive?  Or are you refering to a powervault or storage type setup where its a raid with hot swapable drives that you can remove and replace if they go bad?  I assume the former....  I have a similar drive sitting around if thats the case and I'll try using it and see if I run into a problem.

As for the support I have to agree, took me 4 months to figure out a problem I was having because symantec wasn't knowledgeable.  I'm still stuck with a funky setup to backup DFRS files since they haven't patched that yet.