cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Remove Error

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
Once again, another question about Media Remove. I have 10d (ver 10.1 Rev 5629) running on a Dell 2600 with a Quantum SDLT 320 drive. The driver is 5.1.1.1 dated 11/11/2004. I have multiple machines like this and they are all doing the same thing. The option for Media Remove is setup in the BE Utility and in BE to time out after 1 min and answer with a yes. What I am seeing is that it is starting to give that message about media removal, and gives it for 3 hours, about 60 messages, before it decides that it has gotten a yes and completes the job. Yes, technically, it's working, but....why doesn't it get a yes on the first message, 3 hours earlier? Has anyone else see this? Also, there is an option, grayed out, under configure active alerts, to "Enable Alerts for This Category" that it would be nice to just turn off, but I can't find how to turn it off. As I don't have a library, having this error is just an annoyance. The backup should just eject the tape when the job is complete and not worry about a reply. Comments, suggestions? Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
Something else I've just discovered, relates to the drives, may not be a 10.1 issue at all. The locations that I have that have DLT VS-80 or DLT VS-160 drives, no errors, all works as advertised. For those locations that have SDLT320 or LT01 drives, they all have the Remove Media issues. Looks like the problem may be in the device drivers, or the drives themselves.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Kindly install the latest Veritas Drivers..

- Do you receive any events in the event logs?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
I looked at the latest drivers, the only thing it offered was support for a new device. I didn't see anything in it to suggest a fix for this sort of problem.
No, the only things in the event logs were the errors about removing the media and responding OK. The fact that all of my high end tape devices have the problem and the low in devices do not, suggests either a problem with the hardware designs, or the way your drivers interface with the highend devices. I would think that you should be able to duplicate the error in your labs.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Mike,

As you have mentioned with DLT VS-80 or DLT VS-160 drives,no errors but with SDLT320 or LT01 drives it doesnt work ...

This could be a drive specific problem and as per the hardware compatibility list install veritas device drivers only if the drive is supported...

How to configure Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers to respond to alerts automatically.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254685.htm

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
Thank you for you reply. I have done all that is in the doc you suggested. The only saving grace is that after about 3 hours of "media remove" errors, it finally does close out the job. I would really think that Be could duplicate this condition in your labs, from the other posts, it is not an uncommon problem at all, and other users are using devices other than HP, so it looks more and more like a BE problem with high end devices.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Are you getting the error on all the alerts or only this particular one??

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
Seems to be just this alert. All drives are single drives and when the job finishes, instead of kicking out the tape and closing out, it gives errors for about 3 hours, then closes out. Why BE is taking 3 hours before the automatic answer kicks in is a mystery.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Which errors are you getting for about 3 hours?

Thanks

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Which errors are you getting for about 3 hours?

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
Type: Attention Required
Catagory: Media Remove
Message:Please remove the media from the drive, and respond OK.
ADAMM responds for 3 hours, then finally, the admin user on the domain responds and it completes closing out. In our case, the admin user is mlknntp0\backupexec.
Last night, the errors started at 12:06:54 and ended at 3:00:00 after 58 messages.
This is consistent wtih all 12 of our high end backup devices.

Chuck_McGavern
Level 3
I had the same problem with my SDLT320 drive and applied the latest driver update (2/15/06 I think) even though my drive was working fine. The problem went away after that..

Your mileage may vary of course..

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
Thanks for the feedback. It looked to me as if there was minimim change in the latest driver from what I'm currently running, but maybe there are some other fixes in there that I was not aware of. I'll give it a shot.

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
Chuck, thanks again for the tip. When I went to get the 2/15/06 driver, there was a newer one there, 4/15/06, so I loaded that one and it works as well. No more messges, GREAT! I have to give Symantec their due, early on they said to "update the drivers", but they didn't say that it would fix the problem and the new drivers didn't say that it addressed the issue either so..... It would have been nice had they said that the new version addressed the error problem and had the fix in it of just the generic tech response of "up date your drivers".

Chuck_McGavern
Level 3
I'm glad it worked for you also!

When I applied the driver update, I really didn't think it was going to help. The release notes for the drivers should have contained a nice big message about fixing this issue since alot of people are having problems with it..

Mike_Finleyson
Level 4
My thoughts exactly. Why they don't include a list of all fixes included in a new driver is beyond me. Just seems to make sense, doesn't it? I gave you the points, thanks again.

Hales
Level 2
Where do I get the latest drivers from?