cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media incorrectly identified as cleaning media

Fred_Bennett
Level 3
Help! Since replacing a couple of tape drives in a Dell 130T library, I'm having a problem with tapes being misidentified as cleaning media. This is apparently a common problem, but every post I've looked at just refers to veritas kb 190522. I've looked at that and followed the procedures, but everything looks to me like it's the way it should be.

Either I'm missing something or there's something else causing the drives to be misreported, because they're all in the order they should be and I still get these errors.

The library id is lower than the drives, and the drives are sequentially numbered from the bottom slot to the top one, as they should be. Buexec's device discovery shows them in the same order as they are physically.

The only thing I can see is the windows device manager has them ordered differently, but I've yet to see any reference to that being an issue. I'm also going to re-check the drives termpower jumpers -- those are the only jumperable options on the drives (scsi id is set thru the front control panel). Anything else that I could check?
2 REPLIES 2

Level 3
hi,

This is in response to your probem statement

1 Remove devices from backup exec and power cycle storage and server in the order - storage down, server down, storage up (fully initialized) and server up.

and if this doesnot work then try

2 Use tapeinst.exe from program files\veritsa\backup exec\nt to remove the veritas drivers (tick the option for remove devices no longer recognised if it is offered). Reinstall the latest drivers from http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/256251.htm and power cycle devices as previous.

Fred_Bennett
Level 3
This has been resolved now -- it was not a driver problem. The drives needed to be physically re-ordered according to drive element ID and then the scsi ID's were set in the same order, and then the devices in backup exec. No more misidentified tapes now!