cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media not mounting automatically

PeteUK
Level 2
hey,

i have 11d running and am able to configure and run backup jobs. I have loaded and inventoried all of the tapes used in the backup set and set the overwrite protection period to none for them all.

But when I load a tape (LOT1) into the drive and select to view online media in the media menu it just says none. Only way I can get it to pick up the tape is to run inventory again.

Why is this happening?? The backup jobs fail unless i run inventory again every time i put a tape in....can anyone help?

cheers
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The backup jobs fail unless i run inventory again every time i put a tape in

That's the only way to tell BackupExec that the tape volume  has changed

Either just train yourself (and your vacation standby) to inventory every time you swap tapes, or set up a BEMCMD job to inventory the drive/slots and run it with Windows Scheduler before the nightly backups start

PeteUK
Level 2
thanks Ken, was wondering if that was going to be the only option.....kinda figured that once you had done an initial inventory of a tape it would just get recognised automatically when you put it back in.

Compup
Level 2
Partner Accredited
I am having the same issue with 11D. BUT, it does not happen all of the time.

Sometimes, especially after a cold boot, BE will mount a tape as it is inserted. When it is working like that I can eject and insert tapes and it will continue to mount them.

Then, after a couple of days it stops mounting automatically.

Furthermore, before we upgraded to 11D, (v10) it ALWAYS mounted the tape automatically upon insertion.

Has something in 11D changed? And, what would make it intermittent?

Compup
Level 2
Partner Accredited
I have seen some comments on other forums that suggests pending alerts may cause a tape not to mount automatically.

Any ideas if this is related?