cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media overwriting problem

Nick_Crane_2
Level 3
I have a B2D2T scenario, I have set up media sets for all the jobs and I am duplicating the jobs to tape after the disk backup has completed.

The problem I have is the jobs to tape keep overwriting each other. I have set them all to append not overwrite, but this doesnt seem to have any affect. Im obv doing someithng wrong but I cant seem to find out what.

Any suggestions

Do I have to set up another media set just for the duplicate jobs and set that to overwtite after a week?
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Wjhat is the OPP for the media set used in the B2T job?
What overwrite level have you selected Full/Partial/None?

Nick_Crane_2
Level 3
Ive set to Partial,

I created new media sets for the *tape* jobs and now because ove set the overwrite protection period to 1 hour the next job fails cos it wont overwrite the media :| Am i being really thick here? I want to be able to have every job write to its own media label on the tape, theres no point putting it to tape if they all just overwrite each other. I will only have the last job on the tape, or in the case now, only the first as it wont overwrite this.

I must be missing something...

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media contained in the targeted media set Select this option to have Backup Exec overwrite scratch media first when an overwrite job occurs.
If no scratch media are found in any of the storage devices, Backup Exec overwrites recyclable media in the targeted media set.
If no recyclable media are found, Backup Exec automatically searches for other media to overwrite. The media that is overwritten depends on the level of overwrite protection that you set (Full, Partial, or None). See How Backup Exec searches for overwritable media.
If you select this option, more media may be required for the same number of jobs than if you choose to overwrite recyclable media first.
Because this option affects the order in which Backup Exec overwrites media, choosing to overwrite scratch media first may allow the recyclable media to be preserved longer for possible recovery.

You can refer the following technotes for more information:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.