cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media server unable to connect to Remote Agent on machine

RayD71
Level 3
I did some research on this error and the symantec support page indicates that it was permanently resovled in Backup Exec for Windows Servers 11d rev. 7170.  I'm running version 12 and I received this error message.  The backups were running fine and then this message just started showing up. 

Does anyone have any thoughts?  I've tried remounting the media with no success.  I don't have the remote agent running on the server where Backup Exec resides.  I thought I only needed the remote agent for systems I wanted to back up there didn't have Backup Exec on them.
4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Is this for a local installation, or referring to RAWS on another machine? I got it regularily on 11D, but not as often now.
You can start by reinstalling the Remote Agent on that particular server in question, and trying the backup again.
You can also check that your antivirus isn't blocking any sort of communication. McAfee HIPS is a prime culprit here! 

RayD71
Level 3
This is for a local installation.  So, install the remote agent on the local machine?

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
 Hi Ray

First of all I don't know which error message you are referring to as I cannot see it documented .

Second . RAWS (Remote Agent for Windows Server ) automatically gets installed when you installed backup exec or the agent on any machine , including BE server . As it has to be used for any communication between the server and the client .

Hence it should be installed and running on both the servers

Hope it answers your question .

RayD71
Level 3
This is the link that I found...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288037.htm