cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge Restore of Normal Files and Directories?

Adrian_Wells
Level 3
Is it possible to merge a restore of normal files and directories (e.g. merge from a FULL and DIFFERENTIAL backup)? For example:

Sunday - Full backup is made (contains two directories called "B" and "G")

On Monday, data in directory "B" is modified and directory "G" is DELETED.

Later on Monday - Differential backup made on the same data set (this picks up changes in directory "B", "G" does not exist and therefore it is not backed up)

On Tuesday, a restore the data of Monday is required. So the full backup on Sunday is restored (including two directories called "B" and "G"), then the differential backup on Monday is restored (including ONLY changes from directory "B").

At this point the restore contains directories "B" and "G". A restore from Monday should not contain directory "G" because it was deleted earlier on Monday before the differential backup was made. Is it possible to perform two restores (one from a FULL and DIFFERENTIAL backup) and merge them so that changes such as deleted directories would not be restored?

Thank you.The message was edited by Adrian to correct spelling errors.
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
AFAIK, BackupExec v9.x only supports Point-in-Time restores of SQL databases, not of flat files

This might be possible with v10 using Synthetic Backups (ADBO) see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274569.htm
but I haven't played with Synthetics much.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

About the Synthetic Backup Feature
The synthetic backup feature eliminates the necessity for performing multiple full
backups for supported remote resources. And, because the synthetic backups are run on
the Backup Exec media server without accessing the remote resource, you can schedule
the synthetic backup to be created outside of the time critical backup window, thus
reducing the overall backup window and the associated network bandwidth
requirements.
To start the synthetic backup process, a one-time baseline job is run. The first backup that is
run that is associated with the synthetic backup is considered the baseline job, and always
backs up all of the files, even it is an incremental backup. The baseline job can be either a
full or incremental backup, and must include the option Collect additional information
to detect moved, renamed, or newly installed files.
After the baseline job completes, only incremental backups are necessary. The synthetic
backup itself is created when you schedule it, but only after the baseline job and at least
one incremental backup has completed. The synthetic backup combines data from the
baseline job and from the subsequent incremental backups to form a synthesized full backup of the selected resources.

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Adrian_Wells
Level 3
Ken, thank you for your reply.

Deepali, thank you for the additional information about the Synthetic Backup feature.

It seems that the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option (ADBO) requires purchasing an additional component. Is this correct?

It also seems that the ADBO requires two tape drives if the baseline backup job is written to tape. Otherwise incremental backups must have Backup-to-Disk folders as destination devices. This is based on the Administrator's Guide. Please correct me if I misunderstand the requirements.

Will the Synthetic Backup Feature provide the functionality described in my initial post? Ken referred to this as Point-in-Time restore. This seems like an accurate description. However, I am not clear if ADBO provides the desired functionality.

Any additional clarification (maybe an example or so) would be helpful.

Thank you.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Synthetic backups are one of the new features in v10.

Dhavalrai_Trive
Level 5
Hi Adrian ,

Regarding your question on Synthetic backup

"> It seems that the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option
> (ADBO) requires purchasing an additional component.
> Is this correct?"

Yes ADBO is a optional licensed companent in BE 10.0 which allow you to ake synthetic backups.

"> It also seems that the ADBO requires two tape drives
> if the baseline backup job is written to tape.
> Otherwise incremental backups must have
> e Backup-to-Disk folders as destination devices.
> This is based on the Administrator's Guide. Please
> e correct me if I misunderstand the requirements."

The ADBO option does not rquire two tape drives , it just need one tape drive for the baseline backup and one Backup to disk folder for the incrimental backups.

"> Will the Synthetic Backup Feature provide the
> functionality described in my initial post? Ken
> referred to this as Point-in-Time restore. This
> seems like an accurate description. However, I am
> not clear if ADBO provides the desired
> functionality."

Yes the Synthetic backup option fits the bill perfectly for you as it provides the point in time restore as posted by you earlier.

For Example :-

If you take a Synthetic Base line backup on Monday of the C: drive containing the folders F1 and F2

On Tuesday you add some files in F1 folder and Delete the F2 folder and take a incrimental backup .

On Wednesday you want to restor to point in time of Tusday , then you will have to crate a Synthetic Full backup from the Monday baseline and the Tuesday incrimental.

This Synthetic full backup will merge your Monday Full and Tuesdays incremental backup and Give you a backup as if it was a full backup taken on Tuesday.

When you restore this synthtic Full you will rstore the F1 folder and the changes made to the F1 folder on Tuesday and the F2 will not be there.

Hope this helps.

Dhaval

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Adrian,
The previous post being quite comprehensive, hopefully answers your query, please post any more questions you have else the post may be archived.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Adrian_Wells
Level 3
Dhaval, thank you for the detailed reply. I agree, it appears that the ADBO provides the desired functionatliy.

However, I'm not sure about the tape drive requirements.

"If the baseline backup job was written to tape, and if you also want to write the synthetic backup job to tape, two tape drives are required: one to mount the source job on (the baseline backup) and one to mount the destination job on (the synthetic backup job)." (page 904 of the Veritas Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers Administrator’s Guide)

Based on this, it seems that two drives are required if one wishes to keep all data on tapes.

Otherwise, a baseline backup job can be written to tape with subsequent incremental backups being stored on Backup-to-Disk folders which then would need to be backed up to tape. This seems to be an extra step to keep data on tapes

If I'm missing something here please let me know. Thank you.

Dhavalrai_Trive
Level 5
Hi Adrian,

Yes when the baseline backup is taken to tape it requires two tape drives as per the Admin guide .

I had tested it on B2Ds so was not sure , but it is similar to a duplicate backup job which requires 2 tape drives.

Dhaval..