cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes (5.5) size

Daniel_Ahlberg
Level 3
When I back up our Exchange Mailboxes the job log says it has processed around 12 GB of data. But when I in the Restore dialog check the Media Set in which the backup resides the size is 57 GB.

Checking the mailserver directly there is no way the mailboxes can occupy more than 12GB.

How does Backup Exec miscalculate this?
5 REPLIES 5

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
- Do you have any other jobs that go to the media set?
- Are you doing only mailbox backup?

Could you elaborate on the issue.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Daniel_Ahlberg
Level 3
No, no other jobs use this media set.
No, I'm backing all kinds of databases with this job. Notes, Microsoft SQL and both Exchange Mailboxes and Information Store.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What is the total data size backed up?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Daniel_Ahlberg
Level 3
According to the Job History the last run's Byte Count was 78,136,579,504 bytes

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Daniel,

You have mentioned that the backup in the media set shows 57 GB. It could be the total size of all the databases that you backup, and not just the Exchange mailboxes.

For test pupose, take another backup of exchange on a blank media set that has scratch media and compare the sizes.
Are there any read/write errors on the tape ? Check if you get any errors related to tape in the event logs.

Revert with details to above if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.