cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Information Store - Media Mount Failed / a000810f / Event 57622

Ryan_Vaillancou
Level 3
For the past few days one of our client's backups have been failing while backing up certain exchange data.

For the first three days the error was:

Backup - \\BDNT4\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group Media mount failed.
User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation.

The media operation was terminated by the user.
Error reading file data.
Error reading file data.

Last night's backup changed to:
Backup - \\BDNT4\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes Media mount failed.

Error reading file data.
Error reading file data.

Last night's backup also had this in the log under the exchange store portion:
a000810f - User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation

And this was in the application log:
Event ID:57622
No mover was available to close out the last backup set.

I backed up the exchange store yesterday afternoon using msbackup and the job completed successfully.

There aren't any alerts prompting me to insert additional media so I doubt the tape is full.

This Job is being run from a Windows 2000 server running Backup Exec 9.1 with SP4a.
The Exchange server is an SBS 2000 server.

Any ideas what could be wrong. No changes have been made to the servers in the last week.
5 REPLIES 5

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Check whether you are getting any alerts in the "Alerts" tab.

Is the job spanning to more than one tape?

If yes, then make sure that an overwritable tape is available as the second tape for Backup Exec to write to..

Backup Exec needs an overwritable tape as the second or a subsequent tape irrespective of whether the job is configured to overwrite or not...

What option have you selected in Job properties -"When this job begins"..?

Is "automatic cancellation' option enabled under the "Schedule" option?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ryan_Vaillancou
Level 3
The only alerts are that the job was cancelled by the system.
This job only writes to one tape.
The jobs are set to overwrite the media
Auto-cancellation is set to 11 hours but the job falls short of that. Besides - it would alert me with an appropriate message if it was auto-cancelled.

The point of failure has changed a few times so its obviously not exchange messing up the backups. Now it seems to be just folder backups that cause the backup to fail for the same reasons mentioned in my last post.

Strangely the backups all seem to cut out around the same point but there should still be several gigs worth of space on the tapes to write to. I haven't received any alerts prompting me to insert additional media and I freed up some space on last ngiht's backup but the same thing happened.

I ran an exchange backup to disk and then again to tape via backup exec yesterday and the jobs ran just fine. There aren't any other scheduled tasks running during this period either.

Any other ideas?

Here's a little section from the last failed backup:
Backup of "BDNT4 "

Backup set #10 on storage media #1 Backup set description: "B&D Backup Job Template"
Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
Microsoft SQL Server Agent: Started
Backup started on 09/06/2006 at 4:15:21 AM.

Media mount failed.
Error reading file data.
Error reading file data.
-
Consistency checking pubs
Consistency Check including Indexes.

Ryan_Vaillancou
Level 3
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253613.htm seems to indicate this may be a hardware issue.

This tape drive was replaced a few months ago and all drivers and firmware were updated by IBM at this time. We also used the cleaning tape and several of the tapes in the current rotation were replaced at this time as well.

So... basically, most of the equipment is new and updated. That doesn't rule out the possibility of hardware issues, but I thought you should know that.

Ryan_Suydam
Not applicable
I'm also having a very similar problem. I do a nightly backup of about 240 GB onto 320 GB tapes... Never had a problem with capacity. Lately (for the last week) my jobs have been getting stuck as "queued" at about 208 GB, then get canceled after 18 hours per my job rules. Typical execution time for all 240 GB is 12 hours including verify.

Running through the job logs, it seems the job stops at the Exchange server, trying to get the ShadowCopyComponents. This prevents two other servers later in the process from getting backed up.

I just successfully ran a test job in BE9.1 and was able to back up the Exchange SCC.

Any ideas?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

An error "Media mount failed. User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation." , error may occur when:

--Job exceeds capacity of media
--A cartridge is not inserted in the Backup Device
--The cartridge cannot be loaded by the robotic arm
--An internal or stand alone drive will not accept the media
--The cartridge is protected by overwrite or append periods
-- Hardware, bad media or incorrect driver

Refer the following technote for more information:

Technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/246967

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.