cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine ISA 2004 Instance)

be91echo10
Level 2
Backed up W2k3 server running ISA 2004 remotely using BE 9.1 and BE Remote Agent. Created IDR image. No errors reported with either (Media server is w2k3). Tested DR using IDR. Restore appeared to run okay. Rebooted and ISA firewall service failed to start. Further investigations showed that problem was with MSSQL$MSFW. Service started and stopped. Error 7001logged in event viewer.
Looked in MSSQL$MSFW folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Data) - only tempdb.mdf and templog.ldf had been restored. Master.mdf, etc missing. Checked tape that was used for the restore - these files were not backed up.

I have since tried backing up just these files without any other files selected - no skipped files reported, but the files do not get copied to tape. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

Ciprian_Pasare
Level 4
Run SGMon.exe (a utility that comes with BE) the next time you back up. This logs everything that happens.

be91echo10
Level 2
Okay,

I gave up and rang tech supp.
I paid my $89 and asked the question: There are three options:

1. Buy the Advanced Open File Option. Costs about £400
2. It's basically a aql database, so to back it up requires the SQL Agent. Costs about £400.
3. Stop the database service and back up the database. This is unacceptable as I would have to stop my firewall.

The bast option that I found was to uninstall ISA and reboot. Manually install the MSDE from the ISA server CD using the SAPWD switch to set a strong password. Then reinstall ISA.
Then follow instructions in MS KB 241397.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
We presume that the problem is solved. Is that correct ?

be91echo10
Level 2
I have purchased SQLAGENT but have not yet tried it. Busy trying to solve other restore problems! I think that the agent will overcome my problem...bit annoyed that a SQL agent is required for MSDE.

Mani_2
Level 6
Yes, backup and restore of the Database through the Agent will resolve the issue which would perform an online backup of the Database.

However to perform a backup of .mdf and .ldf files, the services of the database have to be stopped.

Refer the following Technote.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/242688.htm