cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library - Runtime Error - BkupExec.exe

David_Bilsby
Level 3
When I run the main Backup Exec GUI interface I get a message box stating the following:

---error message start---

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Program: C:\Progam Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\BkupExec.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

---error message end---

The following summarises the system settings:

Backup Exec: 10d (BEWS, ADO, IDR) with the following applied
SP1 (5629), hot fixes 26, 27, 29, 31, 33, 34, 37, 38

This installation was working fine up until the last week when the GUI interface dies with the stated error message. The BEUtility.exe also dies in a similar way.

I have reviewed the forum and also other support information. Specifically I have reviewed the forum post http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/forum.jspa?forumID=103 which describes a similar problem.

With reference to this latter post, the MDAC version is 2.8 SP2 which is standard on 2003 SP1. The only mismatched file was MSADCO.DLL which was reported as 2.82.2651.0 as opposed to 2.82.1830.0. I suspect this is a security patch update. Since the problem I have patched the server with the latest security patches.

I have also, as suggested by the above stated forum answer:
1. Repaired the install - No change
2. uninstalled and reinstalled - No change
3. Installed the latest MSXML v6 - No change
4. Tried to install ie6sp1 - Later version already installed

The database seems to be OK as I was able to install an additional admin copy on a separate XP SP2 machine and connect to the database.

For interest if I look at the libraries attached to the failed process with ProcessExplorer there are a whole load in the Windows System32 directory but also one from the WinSxS directory, C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\X86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.3790.1830_x-ww_7AE38CCF\comctl32.dll. I beleive that the VC+ 2005 runtime redistributables may have been installed at some point prior to its failure, this is difficult to tell as I generally fire the GUI up in a TS session and leave it running, so it will have latched into a set of DLLs and if ant newer/corrupt/incompatible ones had been installed after this would only have been seen next time the GUI was restarted. That said the same DLL is being used on my XP machine running the GUI without any problems, C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\X86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2180_x-ww_a84f1ff9\comctl32.dll.

At this point I will restate that I have tried all suggestions noted in the referenced forum article and hence do not want to have to go through the process that that individual experienced and by the look of it got no useful resolution.

I look forward to seeing how the forum environment works for solving such issues compared to direct tech support contact.

Cheers

David
10 REPLIES 10

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer to the following if this helps

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279054

What is the Backup Exec 10.0 revision you are using?

Thanks

David_Bilsby
Level 3
Hi
I had not found the quoted document when searching for a resolution to this problem, thanks.

I tried what was suggested and as stated in my previous post, there was one MDAC component out of step. As I am on Windows 2003 SP 1 I reintalled the MDAC component by right cliking on mdac.inf in Windows\inf and selecting install. This retreived the mismatching component from the install CD and now the check completes with all components matching.

I was somewhat reluctant to delete the entire ExceptionComponents registry key however and did not complete this step. I have so far not found a complete descripotion as to what this is and whether removing it is a valid thing to do. In any case the MDAC update completed without the need to do this. From the document it seems to imply that this registry edit step is only necessary to convince the MDAC install to reinstall if its already there but corrupt.

Needless to say however this has not fixed the backup exec problem which still persists. The version I have, though I am quote sure I said, is 10d (10.1 I beleive), with the stated fixes applied.

One thing I did notice in the ExceptionComponents registry entry was a single sub key which seems to relate to the .NET Framework Migration Package version 2 {D5D40355-5FB0-48fb-A231-CDC637FA16E0}. If there are entries in this registry key does it imply that these installs failed? .NET Framework v2 probably was installed as part of a routine OS update which may have occured around the time the backup software stopped working.

Cheers

David

David_Bilsby
Level 3
Hello, Hello anyone out there!!

Well I have now removed .NET back to the original version on the machine, 1.1 I think, so it's not that. I ahve also made sure that the MDAC version checker is happy, now reports no mismatches.

But suprise suprise its still NOT working!

Now what? Any chance of some support on this issue?

David

David_Bilsby
Level 3
Hi

Looks like my initial reservation with regard to technical support via forums was well founded. One reply, no help, no further messages!!

To add to this thread, though it does appear I am talking to myself, the only way I have managed to keep backups running is to install the console on a remote machine and connect to the main server. This however is not at all practical as some error logs just don't get through. I need a resolution to this issue URGENTLY!

One more problem my install seems to have is that if I inventory my tape drive from the remote console, one or more Backup Exec services die and the connection is lost. I have to restart the services. This happens repeatably.

Still waiting...

David.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi David,

Could you let us know the version of the odbc32.dll file on the media server.

============

David_Bilsby
Level 3
Hi
The odbc32.dll located in Windows\System32 is version 3.526.1830.0.

David

David_Bilsby
Level 3
Anyone out there listening...

As well as not starting, the Backup Exec Service ("C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\beserver.exe") is reported by the event viewers Service Control Manager to have died at 4am. It has done this consistently for almost two weeks now.

Waiting patiently, getting somewhat fed up with this poor technical support forum, for any answer!!!

David

Steven_Marty
Level 3
Hi David,

I think I may have a solution to the issue you are seeing. Can you provide an e-mail address in your profile so I can contact you off-board?

-Steve

David_Bilsby
Level 3
Steve

There does not seem to be any way to emable your email address for public viewing, unless you know how?

David

Not applicable
Was this resolved? I need the same help! Please!