cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Backup Exec and Hyper-V VM's

n_lev
Level 3

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me clarify this.

I have a Hyper-V hosts with several VM's on it. I am backing them all up using Veritas Backup Exec v22. What I am unsure of is the correct way to sele/deselect vhdx files to a) ensure a proper backup that can be used to restore the VM; b) avoid duplicating very large amount of data.

My VM <xxxx03> has 2 HDD's definined (hence 2 hhdx files). Within the VM I have disks C: and D: defined using their separate vhdx files.

When I select my VM to be backed up under Microsoft Hyper-V -> Virtual Machines, it shows me both vhdx files. LEt's say I want top backup the entire VM and both disks. I suspect I check all the boxes here. So far, all clear.

But then I realise that both these vhdx files (and some extra) are also shown under my Hyper-V host itself (drive E:). So, do I also need to check all everything in here? Or will it double the size of the backup?

n_lev_0-1712070582547.png

2 REPLIES 2

kf2013
   VIP   

If you want to backup HyperVM, you should only select the VM under "Microsoft Hyper-V".

n_lev
Level 3

Thank you for your reply.

So, selecting the vhdx file on the host itself is just pointless and will double the backup size?