cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Symantec Backup Excec 12.5 to Symantec Backup Excec

Jorge_Aedo
Not applicable

Hello,

I need to migrate Symantec Backup Excec 12.5 to Symantec Backup Excec 2010 on the same Server Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition R2.

How I can to do it?

King regards,

9 REPLIES 9

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Jorge,

Yes you can upgrade Backup Exec 12.5 to Backup Exec 2010. All you need to do is run the installation of Backup Exec 2010 on the same server. It will detect that BE 12.5 is already present on the server and will upgrade to BE 2010. Instead of simply BE 2010 you can go directly for Backup Exec 2010 R2. Visit www.backupexec.com to download Backup Exec 2010 R2 which is the much improved version than Backup Exec 2010.

Follow this technote to upgrade Backup Exec:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137024

Also as I mentioned about Backup Exec 2010 R2 you can refer to the following technotes for more details:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137044

Thanks,

-Sush...

theseng99
Level 4

Do we need to stop all service before upgrade? and all config is not lose?

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Run a full backup of the local media server, If anything goes wrong you can restore it.

And also before start updrade go through the Sush provided KB's in that check SCL list 

Sush---
Level 6

No we do not need to stop the services. Also it is not very much necessary to backup the Backup Exec database files because during the Upgrade process Backup Exec does keeps the copy of the previous version Database (BE 12.5 in this case) in the folder called DataBackup which is at the same location where Backup Exec is installed.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...all you have to do is stop the services to grab a copy of the Data + Catalogs folders. You can leave them stopped when you start the installation, and it will go through.

I don't quite see the need for a full backup of the media server...I have never had an upgrade kill a server...

You might want to read the article below for some additional tips...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/what-look-out-when-upgrading-bews-2010my-experience...

Ramfast
Level 3

Yes, we have done it from BE 11d to BE 2010.

But becarefull with this latest release. It is slower than before and we have big problems with indexing snapshots (more than one day for indexing a snapshop made by CPS !angry). It took before 1 hour using release 11d.

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Jorge,

Any updates on this?? Have you got the information that you were looking for..???

Thanks,

-Sush...

theseng99
Level 4

"But becarefull with this latest release. It is slower than before and we have big problems with indexing snapshots (more than one day for indexing a snapshop made by CPS !angry). It took before 1 hour using release 11d."

What does that mean? If it still occurs I think we should not upgrade.

Sush---
Level 6

I suppose Ramfast is talking about the Continuous Protection Server (CPS) where its taking a long time to take the snapshots. This is not the issue with Backup EXec as CPS is different than Backup Exec .

Also the CPS issue is reported only in few Environments and not all. So its more like an environmental issue.

If you are not using CPS then there is no need to worry about the upgrade.

Thanks,

-Sush...