cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing records of previous night's backup

Brett_Brown
Level 3
Hi,
I have a backup of a file server that runs at 9pm and runs until ~7am in the morning. What is being backed up is:

\\file\c$ /SUBDIR
\\file\d$ /SUBDIR
\\file\Shadow?Copy?Components\*.* /SUBDIR

However, if i try to do a restore, all i have for the d:\ is 2 folder out of 5

Users - where i store user profiles and WUTemp

It is missing a folder that holds 300GB + worth of data and if i cant restore it, ii wil be in shit for it. I need it to be fixed ASAP.

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
- Does the Job log give any errors?
- Does it give any exclusions?
- Is this Remote Server data that is being skipped?
- If yes is the remote Server in the same Domain?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Brett_Brown
Level 3
No the job does not report any errors, it reports the job as being successful and does not skip any files.

The folder being skipped is a shared folder where the company stores all its data.

Server is in the same domain as the dedicated backup server

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

turn off this registry key http://support.veritas.com/docs/259152 , rerun backup and verify if files are getting skipped.

Have you purchased AOFO?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Brett_Brown
Level 3
I will not do that, read my question. It is a file server.

Yes we do have aofo

The job says the entire server has been backed up, yet the catalouge isnt reporting it, it only states 2 directories on the d: and not the 6 or so that live there.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just for grins, set logging to "detailed" and run a backup of that folder.

Does the detailed log show anything?Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Devlin_Millay
Level 3
I am recruiting or the following contract...Interested? Or do you know anyone?

Devlin
dmillay@vaco.com
(858) 642-0000
(858) 342-7276

We are looking for a skilled individual to help review our current Veritas Backup Exec environment and make modifications to ensure that it is meeting our organizations needs. We are currently running over 60 Windows servers in a 7 by 24 environment that provides public safety services to the public. These servers support file sharing, Active Directory, DNS, SQL databases (SQL Server 7 & 2000), Email (Exchange 2003), Document Management (FileNet Image Services), MSMQ, Crystal Enterprise Reporting, GIS, Faxing (FacSys), Client and Server Management (Altiris 6.x), Backup (Veritas Backup Exec 10.x), and other custom applications and services.

We are looking for someone with the following qualifications:

1. Veritas Backup Exec Certified (10.x is highly desirable)

2. Five years experience with designing and supporting Enterprise Backup Systems (10 years is highly desirable)

3. Any experience with HP Fibrechannel SANs, S/DLT Tape Libraries, and MDR's would be desirable

4. Should have experience with HP Proliant Servers

5. Should have experience with 7 by 24 highly availability environments

6. Should be a Microsoft Certified Professional for Windows 2003 Server

7. Should have experience with backing up Microsoft SQL and Exchange Servers

Any training on setting up disk to disk or continuous backup services is desirable

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
> \\file\c$ /SUBDIR
> \\file\d$ /SUBDIR
My guess is that you have to add *.* after the directory so it would be \\file\d$\*.* /subdir

Regards
A van der Boom

Brett_Brown
Level 3
sorry, it is actually set to *.*

Brett_Brown
Level 3
Ok, i set the software to Include "Summary Information, directories, files and file details" and in the job log (well the xml file shititself for this particular server, so i opened it in notepad) it does show the missing files being backed up. Still, if i go to try and restore something the folders still arent there

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Only thing I can think of at this point is that somehow the catalog has become corrupt.

You can force BackupExec to rebuild the index. See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/272886.htmMessage was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Brett_Brown
Level 3
Ok i rebuilt the indicies and for the last 2 days those folders are there, but the days before hand are not. i guess i will continue to monitor this until i upgrade to 10

Brett_Brown
Level 3
Ok, now this is really starting to piss me off, the xml file shit itself once again, when i attempt to do a restore the folders are missing again even though they are present in the job log

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
have you tried a complete uninstall/reinstall? See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/260054.htm to save all you settings, jobs, schedules etc

If that doesn't work, you'll probably need to either upgrade to v10 or pay for a trouble ticket.